• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How to fix error with restore backup "There was an error parsing the entities.xml file: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x16) was found in the CDATA section.".

How to fix error with restore backup "There was an error parsing the entities.xml file: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x16) was found in the CDATA section.".

Olga Chukanova January 23, 2017

Hello!

I would like to restore backup from JIRA Cloud (15.09.2015), but when I try to start the import I get the following error: There was an error importing file: "There was an error parsing the entities.xml file: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x16) was found in the CDATA section.".

I was try to fix this with this advice (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/removing-invalid-characters-from-xml-backups-12079.html), and import succeeds, but I do not see a restoration project.

What am i doing wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2017

After you do the import file fix, does the xml still contain all the data?  Check with a diff off the before and after files.

Olga Chukanova January 23, 2017

Thank you for answer, but how can I check this? Compare the size? The size of the xml result is not zero.

(before: 13 751 933; after atlassian-xml-cleaner 13 857 038, after perl command 13 857 036)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2017

The size is a good indicate, but I'd want to use a "diff" tool to check exactly what changes have been made

Suggest an answer