How to fix database collation via command line

Mildred Go-oko November 27, 2017

Hello, 

We are upgrading JIRA to v7.1.10 and noticed that the database collation is not supported.  Understand that to fix the collation, we have to create a new DB, create the new tables and import data from old database.  Atlassian provided the steps to create the tables and import data using the SQL server management studio.  Is there a way to automate these steps?  Can help to provide guide or scripts to export and import data via command line?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Mildred Go-oko November 30, 2017

Hi Shannon,

We're using Ms SQL 2008.  Thanks.

Regards,

Mildred

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2017

Hello Mildred,

Of course, the way we mention it on the article you read is the recommended way, and the way we have confirmed it will work with Jira. However, I found the following article that you could also give a try:

Since you mentioned SQL Server Management Studio I assume you're using MS SQL, so this is the article I have provided.

Please give that a try but if it does not work I would recommend following our recommended action.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Mildred Go-oko November 29, 2017

Hi Shannon,

The article mentioned only alters the database collation.  Table columns collations will not be altered.  The recommended action on the other hand uses the SQL management studio.  In our environment, we have limited privileges so I'm not able to use the SSMS.

Is there any alternative way to do this at application level?

Please advise.  Thanks!

Regards,

Mildred

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Mildred,

Can you confirm which version of SQL it is that you are currently running?

Kind regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2017

Mildred,

Thank you for confirming.

I've consulted with my colleagues, and they confirmed that you will need to consult your database administrator to make these changes, as they are fundamental changes in the database and cannot be performed without administrator privileges.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer