How to fix HSQLDB problem after attemping to upgrade from JIRA 6.1 to 7.1.4

Greg Post May 1, 2016

Bonehead move - tried to upgrade from JIRA 6.1 directly to 7.1.4 (I did re-index, backup database, and disable several plug-ins prior to the 7.1.4 install). The install process completed without errors and received "Installation is completed" message. However, when attempting to launch JIRA 7.1.4 received HSQLDB related error with comment to install 7.0 to fix the database problem. Downloaded 7.0 installer but the installer cannot downgrade the 7.1.4 installation.

My JIRA install is for personal use and plan to stick with HSQLDB. Is a manual fix available? Other suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2016

No, there's no "downgrade" you can do on JIRA.  You need to go back to the backup you took and try 6.1 to 7.0.  However, have a look at the backups/export directory - the routine trys to take a backup before upgrade in most case, so you may have a backup there.

I can't recommend the use of HSQLDB for any data that you want to keep, as it can, and does, fail catastrophically without warning - you have to assume any hsqldb backed JIRA is going to die the next time you use it.

Suggest an answer