How to find, when a project was created -- and by who?

Mikhail T January 15, 2015

Hello! We have a bunch of JIRA-projects with zero tickets in them. I'd like to know, when they were created and by who – so I can propose they be deleted (if they remained empty for more than a few weeks after being created).

Is it possible to determine this from JIRA database somehow? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2015

No.  There's no log of project creation at all.  Unless you've enabled the audit logs (but they will only log from the point at which you enable it)

The best you can do is look at the dates of the first created issue (if there is one).  If you don't have any issues in it, then the last resort is the project ID - these always go up, although they're not contiguous.  

Let's say you have:

Project A - id 10010 - first issue created 4th April

Project B - id 10023 - no issues

Project C - id 10024 - first issue created 8th April

Then you know that project B was created after the 4th of April and before the 8th. But that's about it.

Mikhail T January 15, 2015

Thanks, Nic. Can you think of an query (basic SQL or with MySQL-extensions), though, that would give such ranges for projects without issues? I currently list empty projects this way: select p.ID, p.pkey, p.pcounter, count(i.ID) nissues from project p left join jiraissue i on i.PROJECT=p.ID group by p.ID having nissues=0; How can I include non-empty projects with the ID immediately before and after an empty project? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2015

I'm afraid that's past my SQL skills - I've not got much better than "select * from". I exported the project table and went from there.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2015

You can't through the UI. The database may have that information for it's own purpose you may be able to find, But that would depend on what database application you're using. However, this brings up a larger issue; I strongly suggest you track any requests for updates to anything as a change request that needs to be requested, approved, and implemented. Otherwise you're going to be wondering who created fields, select list values, workflows, etc. and when. I usually setup a JIRA project to track change requests with types of requests such as New Workflow, Workflow Update, New Field, Update Select List, Add Project, etc.

Suggest an answer