How to find possible plugin locations in Admin section?

Victor Cheung November 9, 2017

Hello,

I'm new to JIRA development and I'm following this page on adding plugins to the Admin section, but it seems the documentation is no longer correct?  (https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/jira-architecture/web-fragments/administration-area-locations#AdministrationAreaLocations-predfinedplugindropdownmenusections)

I've tried adding a Web Section module with location="admin_plugins_menu" but I cannot see the web section anywhere when I run JIRA (version 7.2.7).  In fact, on my Administration page I don't even see a "Plugins" menu item anywhere.

But later on that page it says:

To find the values of JIRA's existing web items and sections for the system.admin location, view the following file in JIRA's source archive:
<source-installation-directory>/jira-project/jira-components/jira-core/src/main/resources/webfragment/system-admin-sections.xml

So I managed to get the source code for JIRA 7.2.7 and searched in it's entirety for the system-admin-sections.xml file but it does not exist.

How does one figure out what possible locations are available to use when creating plugins?

Thanks,

victor

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello, 

The easiest way to install Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin and use fragment locator. You can read more here

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.9/jira/CustomisingUI.html

Victor Cheung November 9, 2017

Thank you Alexey!

0 votes
Victor Cheung November 13, 2017

Thank you for your help Alexey.  I would just like to add that I was unable to find the file:  

<source-installation-directory>/jira-project/jira-components/jira-core/src/main/resources/webfragment/system-admin-sections.xml  

because I thought I had the complete source code, but I did not.  Once I confirmed I had the complete source code I searched again and did find this file, and within this file it did contain the location names of different areas in the admin section which you could analyze to use for injecting your own web-sections and/or web-items in those areas.

This would be the "free" solution to this problem.  The Adaptavist Scriptrunner plugin is very nice but it is a paid solution, just fyi.  :)

Suggest an answer