How to find out were Custom Fields are used?

Marcel Plomp (inactive) April 2, 2014

I've made a Custom field that has been configured as "Global (all issues)". The field is not used on a particular screen. It is only used in a workflow Post function.

By accident I've removed the field and then the post function did not work anymore.

How can I find were Custom fields are used in workflows and maybe other functionality in Jira that I'm not aware off? I want to clean up the custom fields which are not used.

(BTW: Workflow now works fine again thanks to my Database administrator :) )

8 answers

2 votes
Krzysztof Skotnicki February 27, 2018
SELECT CF.cfname, count(CV.ISSUE) FROM customfield CF join customfieldvalue CV on CF.ID = CV.CUSTOMFIELD
group by CF.cfname

mysql 

2 votes
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

SQL to find which workflows reference a customfield

select * from jiraworkflows wf where wf.descriptor like '%customfield_10281%';
Divya Yathagiri Venkata February 21, 2019

Hi,

This query didn't give any results for me. I am trying to get a list of projects where a couple of custom fields are being used.

The fields are being used in multiple projects but I can't export all the issues since there are too many issues to expect and it forbids me to export more than 10k issues.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

The approach that worked for me best is to export the workflows into XML and then search the custom field id using a text editor. If you have numerous workflows, it is also not a pretty solution!

Using a few JQLs you can find isues where the custom field is populated and maybe find the workflows and screens associated with that project easily.

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

Hi Marcel,

I don't think there is a quick solution for your problem.

It's not possible to see the usage of a custom field through the web interface.

It will probably be possible with some queries in the database.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2015

Maybe it could be useful for someone in the future.. There is a plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.com.tt.admintoolsforjira.AdminToolsForJira that have custom field usage feature. It was very helpful for me to delete couple of custom fields without digging into database. You can give it a try.

0 votes
Marcel Plomp (inactive) April 21, 2014

THX.

For queries in the database I'll turn to my database administrator. Most custom fields are not used in workflows, so I'll try to find if they are populated using JQL.

Suggest an answer