How to find issues which does not have a comment

hirok November 8, 2012

Hi,

I'd like to find issues which does not have any comment.

I see JQL does not support 'EMPTY' keyword for comment field, so I created a following query to find it since all our comments have a "foo" if it's specified.

comment !~ "foo"

However, the result from the query contains the word 'foo'.

Could you please tell me what was wrong in the query above? or anything good to find the item which does not have any comment?

Thanks,

hiro

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

I cheated - there's a plugin somewhere that adds some counter fields to Jira - one of them is "number of comments", so you can say "number of comments > 0" in your searches. I really should dig it out...

Oops - I mean "number of comments = 0" for issues with no comments...

hirok November 12, 2012

I think the name of the plug-in is "JIRA Toolkit Plugin". I installed it and created a "Comments count" field. By specifying the "Comments count = 0" seems not working. but I can use the field to sort the issues, which means I can find the no commented issues easily.

1 vote
UoS Web Team People November 8, 2012

When you comment on an issue the Updated field is set. Therefore you could use the issue search facility (in simple mode) and set

Updated to: -1m

This will search for all issues that haven't been updated upto the last minute. A bit cluncky but one way of doing it.

However, the more elegant way is to use the JIRA Charting Plugin which can do this for you. It does require a bit of setting up (see about half way down this page), but you can access a First Response Date type field in the issue search facility. Note: This will only return the timestamp of a comment which has been made by anyone other than the reporter.

Not a direct solution, I know, but hope it helps anyway.

hirok November 12, 2012

I tried both of them.

About the 'Updated' solution, I couldn't get the right result. I still don't know why, but the query returns issues which has a comment. I tried to/from and other convinations but no luck.

About the 'JIRA Charting Plugin', I couldn't get the result as I expected either. The reason I guess is the reporter of the most issues are myself.

1 vote
Kramarics György November 8, 2012

Hi Hiro!

If you have groovy runner plugin, you can write a script. Maybe in a scripted field, where you can get the contetn of the comment filed. If you have the value you can check if it is empty. The return value of the field is searchable.

Gyuri

hirok November 12, 2012

I have the groovy runner in my server, but it's a little difficult to me to write a script. Sorry.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

Nothing is wrong with the query. Its just limited to finding where comments arent like the value given, it isn't currently syntactically capable of checking for null/empty values, Gyuri is also right, a script /real code is the only way to extract that particular information.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

Tut tut, as though a script is not "real code" !

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2012

ARF, meant script or real plugin code, packaged, versioned, source controlled, scripted stuff is fine in small quantities, depends etc.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question