How to find inactive users

As our user base grows I want to be able to find those users who haven't logged in for n months, so our numbers don't spiral out of control.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do this through the admin interface, eg. I can't sort the user list by when they last logged in or filter for it. Have I missed something and/or is it possible to find this information through API methods - again I haven't spotted a way but I'm not very familiar with the API.

5 answers

1 accepted

It seems what I want to do cannot be done currently with OnDemand.

As chance would have it, I provided this use case ("able to find those users who haven't logged in for n months") as a comment on this issue just a couple of days ago. The issue is requesting that the user list in the JIRA Admin UI be sortable. It had been closed as "won't fix". Now it has been re-opened. But you still might like to vote on it.

Thank you Mark, I have voted for the issue as I quite agree with you. The user interface is not up to the standard of the rest of the Admin, particularly not for Enterprise level installations.

If my answer helped then remember to accept it/vote it up =)

We do have OnDemand so sadly instructions to look in the database aren't very helpful.

Other things that would be helpful are being able to sort the users list by the column headings or find users who aren't in any group. both not possible currently. The addition of a JQL filter like we have for issues could be handy.

It seems the area of user management hasn't had any attention for a long time and the functionality is pretty limited for an Administrator trying to manage several hundred users.

1 vote
David Maye Atlassian Team Nov 18, 2013

The API can poll user information, however the last login info isn't available from the API directly. Technically, at this point you have two options:

1.) You can go through the USER MANAGEMENT page and manually check when the last time someone was logged in.

2.) Or you can wait until this feature request is implemented: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6779

I doubt you can do this in JIRA OnDemand, since you have no access to the database.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

565 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you