How to find STATE value for OAuth 2.0

Radovan Oresky February 5, 2019

I'm trying to connect to JIRA from my app with OAuth2, following this official guide:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/oauth-2-authorization-code-grants-3lo-for-apps

But, I can't figure out where to find the STATE value for the first step of getting an authorization code.

The documentation says : state=YOUR_USER_BOUND_VALUE - Set this to a value that is associated with the user you are directing to the authorization URL, e.g., a hash of the user’s session ID.

Where can I find this value?

2 answers

0 votes
Radovan Oresky January 22, 2020

It's supposed to be an arbitrary value. The problem was in something else.

Ventsislav January 28, 2020

what was the problem ?

0 votes
Deleted user May 15, 2019
  • state: (required for security) Set this to a value that is associated with the user you are directing to the authorization URL, e.g., a hash of the user’s session ID. Make sure that this is a value that cannot be guessed. You may be able to generate and validate this value automatically, if you are using an OAuth 2.0 client library or an authentication library with OAuth 2.0 support. For more information, including why this parameter is required for security, see What is the state parameter used for? below.
Frédéric Esnault January 22, 2020

Wow I can't see how it's useful to copy the documentation he already mentioned in the question... There is no explanation in this doc.

Like # people like this
Ian Russel Adem July 28, 2020

Is there another possible values for the state ?You are mentioning a hash of the user's session ID, where can I get those considering that the user is not yet authorized ?

Like Michal Biros likes this

Suggest an answer