How to find Epics in open sprints

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015

Since an Epic by design is not associated with a Sprint, it can not be included in a JQL query with a function like this. The goal is to create a filter that could be fed to a dashboard that includes only Epics that have linked issues (other parents) in open sprints...and be able to include them with the linked issues...better yet, extract just the Epics. Is there a solution for a Cloud user?

sprint in openSprints()

6 answers

0 votes
Rene Carpio April 27, 2020

I like prodigy alont

0 votes

I like the epics

0 votes

I like prodigy

0 votes

How to find epics

0 votes
Shamee November 15, 2017

As Epics are not associated to a Sprint, It's not straightforward to create a filter referencing Sprint number. The below JQL helps to get the list of epics in a

Active Sprint.

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Closed Sprint

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Previous Sprint

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in prevSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

Shamee, perhaps these functions are available in the Server/Data Center platforms, but they're not available in the Cloud platform. That would be awesome to have though!

Blake_Pusztai December 6, 2018

@Shamee This is excellent. How can I filter the epic results to find ones with a certain component, or really any value? Simply doing the following eliminates all results because my team only applies components to the epics:

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic") AND component in ("ABC")

Edit: I figured it out. Nevermind. It helps when epics with component "ABC" actually have stories in a sprint. :) 

Like anthony_conlon likes this
Wenhui Tan February 5, 2021

I got an error: Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it. I guess it is not available in Cloud platform. 

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2015

Hi Paul,

It should be possible to track it using only JQL if you are using the default settings of JIRA Agile.

As JIRA Agile tracks the Epic issue using a specific issue type, the Epic issue type:

sprint in openSprints() and issuetype = Epic

Not sure, but I think it works in the intended way.

I hope it helps!

Cheers!

Andre

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2015

I do have a highly customized environment, but my definition around the epic object is the default. Issuing your JQL query yields no results. You claim this works by design...is it possible I've done something to abstract the default behavior?? As far as I have ever been able to tell (going back two years), an Epic by design is not associated with a sprint since a sprint only seems to contain parent issues (excluding the Epic). Love some help on this, Andre.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2015

In fact, have a look at my more recent inquiry...here --> https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13420008

Suggest an answer