How to filter expired LDAP-accounts?

Mikhail T February 6, 2015

Hello!

We use the corporate Active Directory as the fount of authentication for both JIRA and Confluence. This works fairly well except for one problem... When a user's account expires in AD (such as because he was a consultant hired for predetermined amount of time), JIRA does not know about it...

They would not be able to actually login, but it remains possible to assign tickets to them, for example – causing confusion and irritation among remaining users.

How can I make JIRA skip expired accounts, when synchronizing with AD?

5 answers

1 vote
Alexander Penev [ByteSource] April 28, 2015

I don't have a really perfect solution for you but here a little bit hacky one:

Define a filter like this:

(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(accountExpires>=127818648000000000)(accountExpires=0)))

where 127818648000000000 is the timestamp of now (http://www.rlmueller.net/Programs/DateToInteger8.txt)

from time to time you must recalculate and replace this value with the new current time (better programmatically )

sorry for not having a more elegant solution but maybe I just don't know the AD ldap queries not good enough 

Mikhail T April 28, 2015

For some reason, accountExpires field is not returned by our AD...

0 votes
Mikhail T February 9, 2015

Андрій, one way to disable an account in AD is to explicitly mark it as such. This will change the value of the LDAP-visible field `userAccountControl`. This is easy enough to do -- just alter the LDAP filter used by the directory-synchronization. (See [this page|http://blogs.msdn.com/b/muaddib/archive/2008/10/08/query-individual-properties-of-the-useraccountcontrol-active-directory-user-property.aspx] for example.) Another way a user may become inactive in AD is by "expiring" -- if an account-expiration date was entered into AD, when the account was created, it will become inactive automatically on that date. How to detect _that_, is what I am asking here.

0 votes
Andrey Kuzmin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2015

How exactly you disable accounts in your Active Directory? Doesn't this user becomes inactive in Jira?

0 votes
Mikhail T February 6, 2015

Try rating my question up -- maybe, that will catch somebody's attention...

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2015

PLEASE someone answer this. I have the same thing... *sigh*

Suggest an answer