How to filter by Sprint now we're using Rapid Boards?

Ian Tinsley September 6, 2012

I need to see a list of issues and their statuses from a previous Sprint. I can see the Sprint column in the issues results but I cannot filter by that value.

Ideally I need to be able to filter issues by their Sprint, alternatively I need another way of looking at a previous Sprint in Rapid Board which shows me all the issues and their statuses.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Check out the Sprint Report, it will show you all of the issues that were in the sprint. You can then click the 'View in Issue Navigator' link if you'd like to see their current status.

Thanks,
Shaun

Dan Burzynski October 4, 2012

The problem with that 'solution' is in the JQL that's produced. It's:

issuekey in (issue, issue, issue, etc)

Which means that if any of the issues in the sprint changes (and they do from time to time) you have to 'regenerate' that JQL. That's no good if you use the Dashboard and filters to keep a track of things (like we do). Is there a way to search for a Sprint based on what it is actually called. For example, if we create a sprint called 'Sprint 2', I'd like to be able to use some JQL that looks similar to:

Sprint = 'Sprint 2'

You can do this with Fix Version(s) which we've come to rely on for the dashboards that we've created for various people/roles in our organisation but it seems that with the introduction of Rapid Boards, you can't. This, combined with the lack of support for Rapid Boards in the Agile Gadget makes Dashboards pretty useless for keeping an eye on the progress of Sprints.

As far as I can tell, the only way that the GreenHopper 'Sprint' field can be queried is:

Sprint in openSprints()

If you have more than one open sprint, it's pretty useless.

Please tell me that there's a proper way to get a filter of all issues in a specific sprint without having to name each issues in the query itself.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

Hi Dan,

You can actually still use 'openSprints()' for what you're trying to achieve, just add the filter for the board. For example, "filter = 'My Board Filter Name' and sprint in openSprints()" will get the issues that currently appear on the work mode for that board.

Closed sprints are a bit trickier which is why we recommend the use of the Sprint Report.

However, one way to do this is to query by sprint id, you can get the sprint ID a number of ways as described in GHS-4949.

Thanks,
Shaun

Ian Tinsley October 7, 2012

Thanks Shaun. Appreciate the help, i've used both your pieces of advice.

I still feel this is a bit of an oversight with with rapid boards - it all feels like clunky workarounds to achieve somethign that is a fundamentally basic requirement of custom reports for past sprints.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2012

@Ian Tinsley : I agree that it's not ideal, there is a story on our backlog for exposing Sprints in a more usable manner in JQL.

0 votes
Dan Burzynski October 8, 2012

Will the "filter = 'My Board Filter Name' and sprint in openSprints()" work if you have multiple open sprints in the same Rapid Board?

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012
Hey Dan, Sure, those issues are in an open sprint and they match the filter for the board. As long as their status is also mapped to a column on the board the filter will show exactly the same issues as shown on the board itself. Thanks, Shaun
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

Unstarted sprints don't exist yet and they don't own the issues shown in them, they're just points in the backlog (i.e. they are ranked like issues are). As a result there's no easy way to filter them.

Cheers,
Shaun

Ben Still October 15, 2012

I've got a similar issue to @Dan Burzynski - but I'm trying to make a query based on unstarted sprints. I don't want to start a sprint, as there seems no way of stopping them. I've been playing battleships trying to guess sprint IDs, but that isn't working out so well :)

Any better suggestions on how to achieve this?

0 votes
Ian Tinsley October 7, 2012

Thanks Shaun. Appreciate the help, i've used both your pieces of advice.

I still feel this is a bit of an oversight with with rapid boards - it all feels like clunky workarounds to achieve somethign that is a fundamentally basic requirement of custom reports for past sprints.

Suggest an answer