How to extend duration of started sprint?

Denis Ivanov March 26, 2014

Sprint was started with short duration by mistake. There are already closed tasks and logged hours.

Could you please help me to determine a correct way for increasing spint's duartion?

6 answers

33 votes
Elio Maggini August 17, 2015

I just figured out how to do this for JIRA v6.4.7 1) From left hand nav panel, select "backlog" 2) Find name of active sprint. 3) Ensure sprint info is maximized with V icon rather than > icon. 4) Hover on end of sprint date. 5) Observe that display turns into edit field. But yes, not that obvious.

Marcelo Montagnese October 7, 2015

Thanks!

Alessio Pedrazzi January 4, 2016

I followed this instruction today. It works. Thank you!

Tim Harsch February 23, 2016

Is there a way pre JIRA v6.4.7?  This doesn't seem to work on v6.4.3

crobicha September 1, 2016

Thanks! Would love if they added a more obvious way to accomplish this, ideally without having to leave the active sprint

Like Elio Maggini likes this
vyankevych July 14, 2017

Thanks for the hint, it has saved my day.

And for atlassian guys: it's hard to find proper words (without using dirty and insulting language) to describe my imressions on such ridicuosly poor UX solutions.

Shivakumar Bisleri April 16, 2018

thanks a lot..

Naveed Ahmad January 14, 2019

Thank you.  Impossible to figure out otherwise.

romeromedeiros October 29, 2019

Yep, not that obvious!

Thanks a lot!

Marica Hug July 7, 2020

Thanks a lot, you saved our sprint ;)

1 vote
Marten Kreienbrock
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2014

I'm not quite sure, if it is what you are looking for, but if you go to agile you can change the sprint on the work tab by clicking on the little triangle next to the sprints name. If you click on the second date on the opened window, you should be able to change to end date of the sprint.

The same thing also works for the plan tab, just click on the second date, and you can adjust it.

Note: To be able to change the dates of a sprint you need to meet the required permissions. Personaly, i'm not sure which they are, but I would guess project administrator role should be enough.

0 votes
Niranjan Deshpande December 3, 2019

I had an active sprint for which i needed to extend the end date as i had set the end date to a shorter period by mistake. After i changed the end date the board started showing zero days remaining in the sprint although the end date was more than 2 weeks from now.

0 votes
Guillermo Torres January 14, 2019

it works... thanks

Niranjan Deshpande December 3, 2019

I had an active sprint for which i needed to extend the end date as i had set the end date to a shorter period by mistake. After i changed the end date the board started showing zero days remaining in the sprint although the end date was more than 2 weeks from now.

0 votes
Philip Culver August 17, 2015

Thanks Elio - I figured it out a bit after posting the question here. But I appreciate you posting the instructions here.

0 votes
Philip Culver August 5, 2015

Wondering where this functionality went in the latest version of JIRA. I can't seem to find it, but I'm sure it's something that wouldn't have been removed.

Suggest an answer