How to export to excel with parent column?

Marcus Widerberg March 27, 2014

Hello,

I want to export issues to excel.

I am using subtasks.

I want to order the subtasks by their parent, report on them by parent task, etc. (in excel)

Therefore, it would be good to get the parent key in the export.

AFAICS, there is no parent key column or similar that can be exported.

Surely, this must be possible?

How else is one to use the excel export to view and report on parent-subtasks?

Any help appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2014

I've used simple derived custom fields to do this in the past (requires a bit of code - I've always done it with a really basic plugin, but I think it can be done with the script-runner addon as well)

Marcus Widerberg March 28, 2014

Yeah, it seems that workarounds are needed again. Thanks Nic.

KRC December 8, 2017

Hi Nic. Can you please elaborate your procedure to solve the parent subtask reporting?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2017

Not much - I use a scripted field (ScriptRunner) which reads the current issue and echoes out the parent issue summary and/or key on all sub-tasks, and the parent (slightly annoying as it's duplicated data on the parent, but it lets you sort and export the data easily, so hey)

Logesh V August 24, 2019

Nic, Can you explain in detail how to get the parent ID or name to export ?

or is there a plugin ?

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2014

Links Hierarchy exports issues into Excel by preserving the hierarchy in a very flexible way as you can visualize the hierarchy in JIRA  previously, apply filters, expand/collapse children, etc and once  you view the right data then just click on  the "Export to Excel" menu and Links Hierarchy will create a powerful report with support for expand/collapse (from Excel!!!), configure issue fields to export, etc.

0 votes
Marcus Widerberg March 28, 2014

Including a parent reference in the dataset has been rejected by atlassian, this is the "new feature" that was rejected:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-21555

Lets hope that they reconsider. Most packages process data with parent references in a more direct and natural way.

Suggest an answer