How to export the aggregated time spent on Task tickets?

anuerindiaz-accenture October 27, 2021

What we are using might not be scrum (I am not even sure if its agile) but I am not here to discuss what is or is not agile. I am doing the export from the Search Issues screen which is agnostic on the development framework.

I need the aggregated time spent by the team for a given Task ticket to be part of the exported values as part of our reporting. The sum of the time spent in each sub-task is showing up on the Task screen so how can I get that value without visiting each ticket manually and capturing it back to the exported csv?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2021

Jira uses the sigma fields to add up time from sub-tasks - the "time tracking" "field" is actually a compound field, holding and accumulating quite a lot of data related to time-tracking.  The obvious ones are that original estimate, time logged and remaining time are all part of it, they're not really separate fields.

The important bit here is that they have sigma pairs - "original estimate" also has "Σ original estimate" for example.

The Σ variants are quite simple, and do what you're looking for, they add up the sub-tasks.  The best way to describe them would start with

• Original Estimate shows the original estimate on the current issue
  • Σ Original Estimate shows the original estimate on the current issue, and all its sub-tasks

Note that the sigmas are more useful generally because they also exist on the sub-tasks.  They're going to give you the same as the non-sigma, because sub-tasks do not have sub-tasks, but it does make the reporting easier.

(Not too sure why you mentioned Scrum/Agile here, as it's irrelevant to the question, but I suspect you've been reading stuff that talks about estimates else where.  The short story on that is that you do not put sprint estimates on sub-tasks because they do not work.  There's no problem accumulating time estimates and work logs, just that you cannot use them as sprint estimates if you do put them on sub-tasks)

anuerindiaz-accenture October 27, 2021

Thanks Nic. I missed that part on the last portions of the export (when all are exported).

this question was a duplicate or split off from the response I posted in another thread. It was split off by the posting validator.  :/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2021

I don't think Atlassian mention the Σ fields enough in the docs!  If you're reporting or exporting on time, they're really handy to add alongside their non-Σ partners when you've got anyone using sub-tasks.

Like anuerindiaz-accenture likes this

Suggest an answer