How to export subtasks with their Parent ID to excel spreadsheet?

Irina July 25, 2017

I have a JIRA project with complicated structure.

I need to clone it with slight changes into 16 other projects.

I can export Issue Table report with Epic Link where I can get the parent of Epics and Stories, but subtasks do not have Epic Link. Where and how can I get Parent Id for subtasks?

Thank you,

Irina

2 answers

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2020

Better Excel Exporter has a calculated field that will export the parent issue's key or a blank string if the issue is not a sub-task. You can use it for your use case:

See: https://www.midori-global.com/products/better-excel-exporter-for-jira/server/documentation/customization#calculated-fields

0 votes
Tomasz Kustrzynski July 28, 2017

You could export list of subtasks for a parent task with Advanced Export  (JIRA cloud only).

This is an example of what it could look like (a column with comma separated list of subtasks):

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 20.25.40.png

Irina July 28, 2017

I do not see Parent ID column between other "standard column names" in Advanced Reports.

Without Parent ID you cannot group subtasks by stories or risks they are associated with in Excel file.

For some reason this question is asked many times during a couple of years, but I was not able to google any solution for this particular question.

Parent Link IS NOT what I need. In most of the cases this colummn is empty for subtasks. I need Parent ID.

Tomasz Kustrzynski July 28, 2017

I'm the author of that plugin. If having list of sub-tasks for parent tasks doesn't work for you and you're using JIRA Cloud, I could add a feature to export id of parent task for subtasks.

Would that help you?

You don't see 'parent id' among list of JIRA fields, because there's actually no such standard field. You can get list of subtasks from parent tasks, but not the other way round.

Irina July 31, 2017

If I would have the parent ID or Parent Name for my subtasks (in my case these are Stories) I'd be able to export this report into Excel file, sort subtasks by their parent and finally import into a new project.

In my case without subtask Parent ID I have to re-type 16 times all of these 60+ subtasks!

By the other hand I can create a Jira Plan based on my Scrum Board, where I perfectly see the whole project with tree structure: Under Epic I see Stories, and under each story I can see the subtasks.

That is exactly what I need, but there is no way to extract this view into Excel file, or even Cut&Paste from the web browser into a file.

Tomasz Kustrzynski July 31, 2017

I've implemented this functionality in the add-on.

If you take a look at the screenshot below:

- 'Parent Issue' is selected (on the right, as 'special field')

- Options/History export is deselected (otherwise you'll get more rows showing changes to the fields you selected, which you don't want in this case)

- Preview of the export shows 'Parent Issue' column with ID of the Parent. I also selected Sub-tasks, so you get the column with that as well as an illustration.

- You can selected as many other fields to export as you need.

Let me know if anything is unclear!

Hope that helps.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 23.03.13.png

Like # people like this
Irina August 2, 2017

Thank you!

Will try  it.

Irina

Tomasz Kustrzynski August 4, 2017

Any luck with this @Irina? If so, I'd appreciate you marking this as accepted answer :)

Like Benjamin Saberin likes this
Irina August 4, 2017

Having Go-Live now. Have no time to test.

Sorry :-(

Suggest an answer