How to export "Epic Link" with all fields (KEY and NAME)?

Analucia Martinez August 30, 2016

I am exporting the results of a query I created in JIRA where one of the fields is the JIRA (locked) custom field "Epic Link". When viewing the results of the query in JIRA, the "Epic Link" field is rendered as the Name of the Epic (for example: "Fluids Events") but when I export the exact same fields, the value that exports for "Epic Link" is the JIRA ID for that Epic as opposed to the Epic Name (for example: JIRA-101 instead of "Fluids Events"). I need to export the Epic Name as it is rendered in JIRA when I am viewing the results of the query. Adding the column "Epic Name" results in blank values for that column for any story/bug/task that's part of an Epic, so that's not a solution. Help please! 

9 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user August 31, 2016

Keep the "EPIC Link" column, but export it as HTML. Save the file locally and open it with Excel. I get the actual names when I use this approach. You can then save it as a worksheet.

Matt Hessler July 20, 2018

Just ran into this issue. Your solution works great. Thanks for the workaround!

David Elger September 18, 2018

Good workaround, works in Cloud.  Seems like Jira should handle this simple request without a workaround though.

Like Tom Lukasiewicz likes this
Smita February 7, 2019

This is a great solution. I am glad one less Market Place plugin to look for.!

Tom Garnett May 17, 2019

This is now broken in Jira cloud as they've removed the HTML export option - any other ideas on how to work around it?

Deleted user May 17, 2019

Hi Tom,

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and see if Smita's work around is still working.

Cheers!

Paolo Franco Solinas May 1, 2020

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and see my comment to visualize this in MS Excel export

Kyle Fritz October 1, 2020

still works as of October 2020. Thanks!

5 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

When you export using the Better PDF Exporter, the value of the Epic field will contain the name of the epic. If you also need to include the key, you can do that by customizing the "issue-navigator-fo.vm" template.

b088fd88-b60e-402e-83e3-4429b103d98a

Deleted user June 5, 2019

That's assuming you want to pay $.95/user/month...

Just saying

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user November 25, 2020

Saying again....

Adam Dulberg July 2, 2021

As a 'community leader' @Aron Gombas _Midori_ I am disappointed to see you recommend a paid option. I wish Atlassian had a tighter grip over their forum and would discourage this type of behavior and strip individuals of their ability to respond as posts like this should be infringing community policies - in my opinion. Whether you have a stake in the paid option or find it helpful yourself, a suggestion like yours does not educate folks to understand the situation and the capabilities of the application.

Very unhelpful.

1 vote
Paolo Franco Solinas May 1, 2020

i recently started using the Get Jira Data Excel add into import data from Jira. I have the Jira Cloud version. For having the name of the Epic on report i included the Epic Link.Name field.

Please upvote/accept the answer if you're satisfied with the response. Thanks!

Epic Link.name.jpg

Liah Fereydoonzad January 27, 2021

Paolo, how do you get the Epic Link.Name field?

0 votes
Sukanya March 30, 2021

Keep the "EPIC Link" column, but export it as HTML.

Now Import Data from HTML into Excel

1. Open an Excel file.
  2. Click Browse for More… in the lower-left corner of the popping out window.
  3. Find the HTML file you want to import in the folder, then double-click it or hit Open.
  4. As suggested by the tip, click the arrow icon to select the area of data then hit Import in the lower-right corner of the window.

Save the file locally and open it with Excel. I get the actual names when I use this approach. You can then save it as a worksheet.

0 votes
matt.digel June 7, 2019

These are the only options I'm seeing. Where is printable?Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.45.05 AM.png

Smita July 1, 2019

Probably depends upon your JIRA version. For me that is the first option in the drop down (but hey we are using the old version)

0 votes
Smita February 7, 2019

For Everyone who is using JIRA server and would like to export Epic Name 

1. Once you have your JQL results, click on Printable.

2. Save the page as HTML

3. Open the saved HTML page in Excel workbook : you could see all your Epic Names as its shown in the UI

0 votes
Jane Sherman July 6, 2018

For those on the server version who can't export to html, I just cut/paste from an issues search where type = epic.   Requires some cleanup, but it's the fastest way I can find.

0 votes
Deleted user July 12, 2017

Hi guys,

This still works, select this export option and follow the rest of the steps I outlined above.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.31.28 AM.png

joris van Emden July 12, 2017

What Jira version are you using?
They removed in JIRA v7.2.4 the HTML option.
So I guess we are downgraded from that version onwards :(

Deleted user July 12, 2017

I'm currently on the 'Cloud' or 'On Demand' depending on what you want to call it. So I assume it's the latest version. Are you on the server version?

Not sure about that one. I do remember last year they messed the export options up and everyone screamed. I think the latest version is 7.4. You might want to upgrade

Like Administrator likes this
Alex Nicholas May 24, 2018

This sucks... why remove the only workaround for something so simple?

Deleted user May 25, 2018

Don't despair, we're on the server version now and the option I described above is still available.

Agnieszka Kornas July 2, 2018

Not on Cloud though. Can't see any option to keep Epic link and issue Id is sth separate from Epic issue ID. 

0 votes
Analucia Martinez August 31, 2016

Thank you so much, that worked!

Deleted user August 31, 2016

Glad to help!

Pablo Lopez Martin December 5, 2016

Hi, this is still an issue for me.

From JIRA 7.2.X you can no longer do Excel HTML exports, so you are bound to use csv export, where the Epic Link is displayed as the JIRA ID, as opposed to the Epic Name.

There is a way to force enable the old Excel HTML exports but it will be something that they look forward to deprecate in future releases.

Is there any workaround for showing the name in the csv exports?

Brad White July 11, 2017

A bit of a necro of this thread sorry, but I am facing this exact issue...and it looks like the "old Excel HTML" has indeed been deprecated.

Is there any way to obtain the actual Epic name rather than the JIRA ID for the Epic?

Thankyou in advance :-D

joris van Emden July 12, 2017

Nope.
I hate this too.

I now manually find and replace the JIRA ID to the epic name for my reports

Smita February 7, 2019

You can click on Printable and save the page as HTML. Then open it as Excel. Still works 

Suggest an answer