How to export "Epic Link" with all fields (KEY and NAME)?

I am exporting the results of a query I created in JIRA where one of the fields is the JIRA (locked) custom field "Epic Link". When viewing the results of the query in JIRA, the "Epic Link" field is rendered as the Name of the Epic (for example: "Fluids Events") but when I export the exact same fields, the value that exports for "Epic Link" is the JIRA ID for that Epic as opposed to the Epic Name (for example: JIRA-101 instead of "Fluids Events"). I need to export the Epic Name as it is rendered in JIRA when I am viewing the results of the query. Adding the column "Epic Name" results in blank values for that column for any story/bug/task that's part of an Epic, so that's not a solution. Help please! 

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Keep the "EPIC Link" column, but export it as HTML. Save the file locally and open it with Excel. I get the actual names when I use this approach. You can then save it as a worksheet.

Just ran into this issue. Your solution works great. Thanks for the workaround!

Thank you so much, that worked!

Hi, this is still an issue for me.

From JIRA 7.2.X you can no longer do Excel HTML exports, so you are bound to use csv export, where the Epic Link is displayed as the JIRA ID, as opposed to the Epic Name.

There is a way to force enable the old Excel HTML exports but it will be something that they look forward to deprecate in future releases.

Is there any workaround for showing the name in the csv exports?

A bit of a necro of this thread sorry, but I am facing this exact issue...and it looks like the "old Excel HTML" has indeed been deprecated.

Is there any way to obtain the actual Epic name rather than the JIRA ID for the Epic?

Thankyou in advance :-D

Nope.
I hate this too.

I now manually find and replace the JIRA ID to the epic name for my reports

Hi guys,

This still works, select this export option and follow the rest of the steps I outlined above.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.31.28 AM.png

What Jira version are you using?
They removed in JIRA v7.2.4 the HTML option.
So I guess we are downgraded from that version onwards :(

I'm currently on the 'Cloud' or 'On Demand' depending on what you want to call it. So I assume it's the latest version. Are you on the server version?

Not sure about that one. I do remember last year they messed the export options up and everyone screamed. I think the latest version is 7.4. You might want to upgrade

This sucks... why remove the only workaround for something so simple?

Don't despair, we're on the server version now and the option I described above is still available.

Not on Cloud though. Can't see any option to keep Epic link and issue Id is sth separate from Epic issue ID. 

For those on the server version who can't export to html, I just cut/paste from an issues search where type = epic.   Requires some cleanup, but it's the fastest way I can find.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you