How to export issues with attachments / screenshots?

Katharina Seraphin November 2, 2016

Hello everyone, 

I´m looking for a solution which:

• supports me exporting issues 
  • in a huge number (>12.000)
  • with attachments (screenshots; about 2 per issue) (attachments may be exported as zip files or any other solution)
  • with comments
  • to a simple format like PDF or Excel

The solution may not:

• cost money 
  • be just a demo version
  • be limited to a certain amount of exports

I´m using:

• JIRA v6.2.7
  • with admin rights

My research did not bring up any free solutions which will help me with my request, please don´t provide any ideas like Pro versions of plugins.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards, 

Katharina 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user November 2, 2016

Option 1: System admins can do a database back up and archive the attachments. This option can help you to restore the data to different database environment in future.

Option 2: Update the properties for export to increase the number of records that can be exported in bulk to a limit that you need to export prior to exporting the issues. I would suggest to plan for export based on either Release or Issue Type to avoid huge volume of data to one output file. I had experience with exporting 36K+ issues in multiple files and it will not help much to save in one output file. But you will have to archive the Attachments from the attachments directory for JIRA separately.

Since you have asked for cost effective solution, I had to stop with only two options.

1 vote
Katharina Seraphin November 2, 2016

The objective is to

• export old issues with attachments
  • store them in a local database
  • delete them from JIRA for a clean-up
  • overall: archive old issues

Does this help for a better understanding?

Denis Brulic August 17, 2017

Hello Katharina,

the most flexible and free solution is utilizing JIRA REST API for doing this kind of archiving activities.

You need admin permissions and invest investigating time how to use JIRA rest api and make this kind of custom solution.   

Reference:
https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis

Best regards,

0 votes
Deleted user November 2, 2016

May I know your objective in doing the export? There are ways, but need to know what you are trying to do with the huge exported file(s) before suggesting the solution.

Suggest an answer