How to export conversation from JIRA?

Charlotte Wolff May 17, 2019

Is there any other way to export conversations from JIRA apart from JIRA Cloud?

1 answer

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2019

Hi @Charlotte Wolff

Can you please clarify what do you mean by "conversations"? Do you mean the issue comments?

Also, what do you mean by "any other way apart from Jira Cloud"? Which exporting option did you already try exactly that doesn't fit your needs?

Yes I mean the issue comments, the conversations people have between tickets (I'm not as advanced in Jira, I am still learning).

I haven't tried any exporting methods as yet, I have just done the research. I can't seem to find where the export is kept in Jira, and through research I have found that you can only export issue comments through having Jira Cloud. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2019

There are options to export certain types of data from Jira Server as well as Cloud.

Jira itself offers only limited options to export information: you have an "Export" drop-down menu in Server for example that allows you to choose CSV export or HTML.

If you want more advanced options, exporting metadata like comment, issue history, worklogs, etc. you will most certainly need an exporter app from the Atlassian Marketplace. For exporting issue comments you can try Better PDF Exporter (from our team), that can export all sorts of Jira data. See this example: 

56614f21-abe0-4872-a5bc-9c9e8424259e.png

You can also do that for Excel.

If you prefer a different export output, I suggest search for it on the Marketplace!

I cannot find the "Export" dropdown. Where can I find this?

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2019

You can find it in the top right corner. On Jira Server it looks like this:

export.jpg

On Jira Cloud it looks a bit different.

Charlotte Wolff May 20, 2019

Do I have to be the Project lead for me to be able to export? I still cannot find this option on Jira, please find below what is located in the top right hand corner on my board.

JIRA.png

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 20, 2019

First of all, let's clarify if you are on Jira Server or Jira Cloud?

I'm not sure what Jira screen are you on, but please try opening a single Jira issue and look for the export menu in the top right corner.

Or open the Issue Navigator (the screen where you can search for all the issues in Jira) as that screen should also have an Export menu.

No, you don't have to be an admin to see the export options.

Charlotte Wolff May 21, 2019

Hi, we are on Jira Cloud, just had clarification on this. To export is it the same instructions as here? As I still don't see the export option in the top right hand corner.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 21, 2019

Yes, those 2 screenshots show you exactly where the Export toggle should be. If you don't see those, please consult with your Jira admin!

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 21, 2019

Let me correct myself, those screenshots are instructions if you have the Better PDF Exporter app installed. The built-in Export is also there, under this toggle:

jira-export.png

I guess that answers my question, I don't have the Better PDF Exporter app installed. Please could you point me in the right direction for this download please. Many thanks. 

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 21, 2019

You can get it from here (click the yellow "Try it free" button).  Please note that you might need your admin's help to install apps!

Many thanks! Does the 'try it free' run out? Would we then have to pay a subscription after this?

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
May 21, 2019

The app is currently free since it has just recently been launched. Soon we (by "we" I mean Midori, the team behind the app) are introducing commercial support for it and also pricing tiers. But if you have questions about the app specifically, you can reach our technical support directly anytime, by opening a ticket here.

Suggest an answer