How to enter small floating point numbers

Deleted user March 5, 2018

This questions concerns the number format for custom number fields. 

I'd like to create a number field in which I can input and view a numeric value in English scientific notation. For example 3E6, 5.91E-6 or 200.84E-1, which mean the numbers 1000000, 0.00000591, and 20.084. These numbers will be used in other fields for calculations.

For my German localization settings, I discovered that the number field can 
*hold a 5.9E-6 which is correctly used in calculations
*when I enter 5,9E-6 (German language settings) and 
*displays 0
Is there a way to bring consistency to it? I'd like to have it in the 5.9E-6 format.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2018

Hi,

It seems this is localisations issue, namely separation symbol setting. 

Best regards, 

Vasiliy

Deleted user March 5, 2018

Hello Vasiliy,

Yes, that is partly true. When I changed to English I must enter numbers with a decimal point. However, it does show a "5.9E-6" as "0" :-/

Regards

Andreas

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2018

Hm, it seems to be a trouble.

Try to ask Atlassian for support.

Best regads,

Vasiliy

Deleted user March 6, 2018

hmm, support did not help

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2018

Into similar case we used to fields:

• one of string type to enter values
  • more one of double type to store numeric value.

To convert value from string to number we use event listener on issue update event.

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2018

I tried on my instance and find that values less that 0.001 are rounded to 0. It seem to be a bug or feature.

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2018

It seems that feature request is requred. Try to raise new ticket to atlassian

Deleted user March 7, 2018

Hello Vasiliy,

I raised a ticket JRASERVER-66904  - thanking you for the comments. 

Meanwhile my workaround is to define the numbers in those fields to be in ppm - parts per millions. That means there is a factor of 1E-6 in all calculated fields.

Cheers

Andreas 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events