How to enable jelly service?

ZHU PAN June 25, 2013

Hi:

I want to enable jelly service but failed. My JIRA is an in-house instance, version is

(v5.0.3#729-sha1:bf569e4), running on a Linux box. Here is my steps:

1) Shutdown JIRA

2) Append "-Djira.jelly.on=true" to env JAVA_OPTS in file jira/bin/setenv.sh

3) Restart JIRA.

I confirm that new option has been taken by checking java command line:

# ps -ax|grep java

/jira/opt/jira/jre//bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/jira/opt/jira/conf/logging.properties -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xms256m -Xmx768m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Djira.jelly.on=true -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/jira/opt/jira/endorsed -classpath /jira/opt/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=/jira/opt/jira -Dcatalina.home=/jira/opt/jira -Djava.io.tmpdir=/jira/opt/jira/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

However, after login in JIRA using administrator, I cannot find where "Jelly Run" is in

"System->Advanced" mentioned by the link below, or where to add the Jelly service

in "System->Advanced->Service" tab.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Tags

Here are some Q/A references, but do not work for me.

Please help me out, thanks in advance!

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/1843/jelly-runner

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33220/java-djira-jelly-on-true-where-to-paste-it-in-bin-to-enable-my-jelly

3 answers

0 votes
ZHU PAN June 25, 2013

Hi Teck:

Thanks for you reply.

"Services Jelly" shows up after I input "jelly", but the I was re-directed to "System->Advanced->Service" page where I still cannot find how to add Jelly service. The page is like this: (sorry, I donot know how to upload screenshot here)

------------------------------------------------------

Advanced:

Indexing

Attachments Add Service

Events Mail Handlers should be added or edited via our new Incoming Mail section

Services

Scheme Tools

------------------------------------------------------

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

Can you check if there is some sreferences to jelly in "System Info" admin tab?

Maybe you Jira isn't taking into account the jelly parameter, try to edit setenv.sh to put it the last of all JAVA_OPTS. Some parameter are taken into account only if they are in some order (e.g. -Xmx or Xms are ignored if they are in the last positions)

ZHU PAN June 25, 2013

Hi Alex:

I "append" that option to variable JAVA_OPTS, it is at the end of it. thank you

ZHU PAN June 25, 2013

In System Info, I can see this:

jira.jelly.on true

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2013

try to use the keyboard shortcut 'g' + 'g' and search for Jelly Runner. It would be easier than search the option under Adminsitration UI :)

Suggest an answer