How to enable JIRA previews in HipChat?

jmooo May 15, 2015

We have a JIRA server instance behind a firewall and have a specific ip:port open to allow HipChat to make callbacks to JIRA. However I can't find anywhere in the documentation where to add this ip:port to enable JIRA previews from HipChat? All the documentation says is "server must be publicly addressable", which it is, but doesn't denote where you have to enter that public address

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+with+HipChat

4 answers

1 vote
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2015

JIRA's base URL is used to contact JIRA from HipChat. When we link JIRA to HipChat group we record the base url inside HipChat and next time HipChat needs to ping JIRA it will use that recorded URL. It seems like in your situation your new 'public url' is different from configured JIRA's base url in order to fix the situation you can:

• Temporary remove the integration (we will re-instate it later, no configuration will be lost)
  • Change JIRA's base URL to your new 'public url'
  • Connect JIRA to HipChat again
  • You can change your base url to the original if you want too.
Stefano Coletta May 22, 2015

I've done as you suggested but it doesn't work. It says always that it has LIMITED connectivity. We have our Jira installed on a private network and doing NAT 1:1 with a firewall we are exposing it with a public IP. To test it we have opened the firewall from any IP with any protocol or port, and we have see no packets coming from outside towards our Jira server. When I refresh the HipChat Integration window on Jira, what actually does to say is a LIMITED connectivity? I've even tried to write a real issue tag like TEST-123 to see it was working despide the LIMITED status, but I've seen no traffic at all coming to Jira. Any other suggestions?

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2015

Strange. We did have a case reported when a specific firewall configuration made JIRA report LIMITED connectivity but you could see it that case a 320 redirect wasn't handled correctly. It sounds like in your case JIRA doesn't get any incoming hipchat traffic. @Stefano Coletta , could you create a support ticket under https://support.atlassian.com and we will help you out.

jmooo May 26, 2015

Unfortunately the public ip our JIRA could be reached at is not where we want employees to access it from. The public IP would only be so HipChat could make API calls in/out to JIRA.

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2015

@jmo , that should be fine - you can change the base url back to what it originally was once the link between JIRA<->HipChat is established.

Todd Michael Bushnell December 8, 2015

Followed troubleshooting instructions, to no avail. Is HipChat calling back to the URL for preview to work? If so, issue likely that we're using x509 client certificate auth. Is there any way to configure support for this? Thanks.

Michael Osborne December 16, 2015

We had similar symptoms with a totally different solution. We have a local server JIRA and remote Hipchat so I can hit JIRA internally or externally. If you configure Hipchat integration using internal JIRA access it fails but if you do it externally it works.

1 vote
Shanye
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2015

The address HipChat will use to reach JIRA is configured during the initial creation of the integration (In JIRA, Administration >> System >> HipChat Integration). That URL has to accept connections via HTTPS.

There should be an 'Advanced Settings' button through which you can enable/disable the issue preview function globally, or you can control it per project within each project's HipChat Integration administrative menu.

0 votes
Skipy Stu June 4, 2015

Is it possible to edit the preview that appears in Hip Chat? My development team is complaining that the notifications contain more information than they need and it is 'junking' up their Hip Chat rooms. I have already increased the number of filters used so as to limit the number of notifications they receive but short of creating a room for each developer (which is a bad idea) I am not sure what to do.

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2015

Hi Skipy, it is possible to edit what appears inside jira notifications if you configure notifications via transition post functions.

0 votes
Inavero Purchasing May 15, 2015

Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see any option to specify an URL during the HipChat integration. I just deleted/re-added the integration to confirm it. There is only an "Install" and "Cancel" button

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2015

A screenshot would be most helpful @Inavero Purchasing

Shanye
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2015

I believe JIRA's base URL is used when you create the integration to HipChat - there's no special URL designation that occurs. The following database query should pull up some details on how JIRA and HipChat talk to each other: SELECT CONNECT_DESCRIPTOR FROM AO_5FB9D7_AOHIP_CHAT_LINK; You might need to modify that query, depending on your DBMS. ;)

Robert Reed May 26, 2015

In my installation, the URLs in the CONNECT_DESCRIPTOR are all correct; they are the public URL, but JIRA still claims "LIMITED" access.

Suggest an answer