How to enable Bulk Clone for use when using AD as user directory?

Andrew Forman October 7, 2013

We use AD as our user directory. What do we need to do to enable Bulk Clone for use? The screenshots seem to indicate we need a new group to be added named "BulkClone", but in our AD environment that is not appropriate.

Is there any other way to enable Bulk Clone other that with a new user group?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Forman October 13, 2013

I pulled down a recent version to confirm, but the functionality only activates when a user belongs to a custom group. Hopefully this will change in a future release, but for now the plugin is not usable for folks in my situation.

[code snippet]

public boolean showPanel(BrowseContext ctx)

{

Collection currentUserGroups = usersGroup.getGroupNamesForUser(authenticationContext.getLoggedInUser());

return currentUserGroups.contains("BulkClone");

}

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2013

As far as I know you don't have to create the group in your AD. We created a local group temporarily in our internal directory, did the bulk-copy and deleted the group afterwards...Wouldn't that work for you?

Cheers

Christian

Andrew Forman October 13, 2013

Hi Christian,

Creating an internal group is no problem, but assigning read-only users from the AD to be members of that group is a problem.

Yes, I could further create an internal user, however that both violates our security policy and wouldn't be a managable solution for anything other than single-shot clones; the use case I'm trying to cover would involve regular bulk cloning.

So, I'll search for a different solution =).

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2013

Oh I see...We've configured our user directory to be "Read-Only with local groups"...

0 votes
Lars Broden
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2015

Guys, there are now a documentation page in Place and this particular issue has been resolved

http://www.lbconsultinggroup.org/bulkclone-basic-documentation/

Regards

Lars Broden

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2013

Ah, took me a minute to figure out what you meant - you're after the BulkClone add-on in Marketplace, right?

It's not clear from the screenshots but my assumption is that you've got to allow permission for a group. It's not really well documented, so I added the correct tag to this, maybe the plugin devs will help.

I don't think you specifically need to create a new group, you just need to give the 'bulk clone' permission, which is not in a screenshot. I'm assuming there's a permission with the plugin, but it's not quite documented all the way.

Suggest an answer