How to embed dynamic content in a JIRA Dashboard

Warren Sergent August 29, 2017

Back in December 2016, Atlassian removed the 'Text Gadget' from JIRA Dashboards (for JIRA Cloud).

We used this gadget as a way to show an iframe, containing a page from our website that would show our clients information about their accounts.

After this Gadget was removed, we found that the only viable alternative was to create a page within Confluence, where we embedded the 'Iframe' macro to include the external page. Then, on our JIRA dashboard, we embedded the Confluence Page using the 'Confluence Page Gadget'.

This has worked well, and allowed us to continue to provide this service to our clients.

Now, Atlassian have decided to remove the Confluence Page Gadget (and other Confluence Gadgets) form JIRA Cloud:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/removing-unsupported-confluence-gadgets-from-jira-935575093.html

The only 'workaround' that they suggest is to use the 'Rich Text Gadget' to show static text instead.

Unfortunately, our content is not static, and we need a way to display dynamic text to our clients.

At this point in time, the only solution that I have seen is that we will need to replace our current gadgets with a Rich Text Gadget that simply links to the appropriate page in Confluence, and a note telling our clients to 'check there instead'. For a lot of our clients, this means updating their accounts to give them access to Confluence, and forcing them to follow extra steps.

Can anyone suggest a workaround, or an alternative method that will allow us to do what we have been doing for several years now with no issues?

The end goal is to display dynamic content on our JIRA dashboards, whether via an iframe, or any other method.

All suggestions appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Vincent Kooijman February 6, 2018

Hi Warren,

Your question is a few months old now, but for readers like myself who end up at this question through Google looking for the same answer: you could try the cloud add-on `iFrames for Jira Cloud`. It will allow you to embed iFrames in a Dashboard.

I've just tried it and it works like a charm. The only requirement is for your iFrame's source (URL) to be HTTPS.

Warren Sergent February 6, 2018

Thanks for the assistance Vincent - that is in fact almost exactly what we ended up doing - but, rather than using that add-on, I actually wrote my own that does pretty much the exact same thing, but with some extra options that allowed us to add a little extra functionality to meet our needs.

Christof Hurst February 16, 2018

Hi Warren, that sounds good. Do you see a possibility to share this add-on?

Keerthi Sureddy October 18, 2019

Hi @Warren Sergent

Would you be able to share the add-on alternative you created or at least a pointer on how we can create write our own? Thanks.

Krista Buckland Reisner October 15, 2020

Would be looking for something like this too! I'm trying out using the jFrame add-in but that only works for static URLS. They are developing something for dynamic URLs but it it not available yet.

Suggest an answer