How to embed JIRA license key as part of JIRA config without entering it from the UI

Gerin Abraham April 16, 2013

Hello JIRA Users,

I am trying to apply the JIRA license contents in an automated way without manually inputting it from the First time JIRA setup within the UI once JIRA is started.

Is there a way to apply the license file in the JIRA home directory - which file name /location etc will this file be saved at. Where exactly is the license key stored within JIRA.

-G

4 answers

2 votes
Deleted user March 15, 2014

To correct C. Faysal:

1. Figure out what property ID represents the license key. For new versions of jira it will be:
    select id from propertyentry where property_key = 'License20';

2. Now you can update the property, just replace the placeholders:

update propertytext set propertyvalue = #{license_key} where id = #{jira_license_prop_id};

Simone Kaiser March 23, 2014

Thank you! This helped me so much when my JIRA didn't want to run after an upgrade to 6.2.1 :-)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2013

I've not seen Jira install the licence as a file. But you can poke it into the database.

(Sadly I can't remember where, it's been a while since I scripted it into a failover system - I'm pretty sure it's one of the propertyentry rows, but I'm not certain)

0 votes
adam valenzuela April 22, 2013

The only way I have been able to achieve this is by doing the entire install one time, say on a test box (including clicking around the wui) to obtain the fully formed response.varfile and to populate all of the needed XML files. Then I just wrote a bash script which performs the very same install using that "response.varfile" along with a copy the "dbconfig.xml" which was previously created.

Perform install w/response.varfile

Stop jira

Copy over dbconfig.xml to "jira data" directory

Verify permissions

Restart jira.

$!BOOM

With that that formula I am able to kickstart a fully usable jira box without touching the keyboard. I will note that this method "may" cause issues with licensing down the road, but if you are in a heavy dev-env which may involve flipping these installs like hotcakes then this might work for you.

Still working on combing this w/ the ~/bin/config.sh to setup https out the gate.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013
As nic said you can inject the license by sql statement. I need to be on a non-mobile device to view my backup script where i did exactly the same. I will post the cmd asap
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2013

here you go:

update propertytext set propertyvalue = '$jira_license' where ID = '10021'"

Suggest an answer