How to email a comment outside of JIRA users?

Neil Webb June 4, 2012

Hi Guys, Gals,

I am trying to use JIRA on Demand to build a little support site and need to be able to email the end customer (not a JIRA user) with updates or simply with dialog. I could do this via MS Outlook or whatever but would prefere an integrated solution inside JIRA.

THe email address for the end customer is recorded in a custom field.

I can get JIRA users to have updates etc, but have not figured out how to send email to a non-JIRA user.

I am a JIRA newbie so be gentle please.

Neil

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

With the new Webhooks feature, you may trigger one of your URLs with the data and send the email from the URL being triggered. Could be a simple php page to pick up the custom field value and send an email.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Managing+Webhooks

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

Hi, this is currently not possible. Email notification respect the permission scheme. If you were not using OnDemand and hosted JIRA separately, you can do this with the JIRA Email This Issue plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.metainf.jira.plugin.emailissue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

The extended mail handler (JEMH) will do it too.

The reason you can't in off-the-shelf Jira is that emailing people without "browse" permission is a bad thing to do. Until you've thought about it carefully and actively made the decision to do it. Hence the default position of not allowing it.

Suggest an answer