How to efficiently track "costs" or estimate cost for different resources?

Hello,

whats the best practice for tracking costs for different resources by using JIRA?

I have a team which is build up with People from different suppliers? At the Moment we use one JIRA borad but it is hard or almost imposible to get the cost Information per supplier.

Is there a common way to solve this? Or is the only solution to use different boards per supplier? But with different board it is hard to keep and/or care the dependencies between the Tasks.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

I will just calculate the "Logged Work" by my users and use that data.

Thanks for the answer. But I'm not locking for the "logged work" of each member, I'm more interested in the work of each supplier has done or have to be done by a supplier. In my context a supplier is represented by more than one Team member.

For example supplier A has to 2 persons specialized for UX-Tasks and supplier B has 4 persons which do the development. In an ideal agile Team each Team member can do the work of each other Team member. But thats the therory. In my Team they are more specialized than gerneralized. So I only can plan UX-Task for 2 People for one sprint and for the development I can plan with 4 People doing their stuff. What I'm locking at is a good practice to determine the working load for each supplier, so it fits in one sprint.

I'm thinking about to double the user stories and to tag either with lable "supplier a" or "supplier b". But the drawback will be the doubled number of user stories. And the dependency Management will grow.

Subtasks are not an Option because on the rapid board the estimated time for all subtasks per story is not shown.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

21,888 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you