How to effectively view subtasks in Backlog and individual capacity for those subtasks?

David Welborn January 29, 2015

My team is creating subtasks for various stories. These subtasks have hours and sometimes cross between people. When I review how many hours are assigned to my team in the backlog I find:

1) Subtasks don't appear in the sprint backlog view

2) An Individual's total hours assigned for a sprint does not reflect the sub tasks assigned.

How can I repair my backlog view so:

1) Subtasks are listed

2) My Individual's hours assigned for a sprint reflect assigned subtask  items.

3 answers

0 votes
Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2016

Same needs made us to come up with own JIRA add-on called Pivot Report:

shot_161213_194042.png

You can check demo report for Backlog here. No registration needed, just click and see it in action.

Pivot Report is available both for Cloud and Server. You can evaluate it via Atlassian Market

If you have any questions on the add-on, feel free to send me an email to dmitry@pivotreport.com

0 votes
Robert Cavanna August 21, 2015

I'm not aware of anything that is baked into Jira, but I use the Time Tracking and Billing (TTB) plugin for this. 

1. Create an issue filter that represents the tickets and subtasks that you want to total by assignee.
  2. Add the Time Tracking and Billing Reporting Collection - Complete gadget to your dashboard. 
  3. Use the Assignee Complete template for the TTB gadget so that time is displayed by assignee. 

This gives me a list of my team members and their remaining estimated work on a dashboard.

I actually have a couple of these gadgets in a single dashboard so that I can also see unassigned work categorized by different subtask types. We don't assign everything at the start of the sprint. This second gadget just uses a similar filter that only includes unassigned work. 

0 votes
Deleted user March 6, 2015

This would be a helpful for my team as well.

Suggest an answer