How to edit the "jira (Read-only System Workflow) DEFAULT" status names

Bernardo San Juan August 27, 2014

I have somehow found a way (by accident) to edit the default workflow status "To Do" it is now transformed into "Preparation" see attachment. Now the "To Do" status within all other workflows has changed into "Preparation", How can I change it back to "To Do"? I can't find the way, as the default workflow can not be edited.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2014

Think of the status as a list of id-numbers with a labels. When you create a workflow, you create steps in the workflow, and for each step, you select a status by it's id-number. Your new workflow, and the default one all say things like "on step 1, use status with id 1, on step 4, use status id 64" and so-on.

What you've managed to do is change the labels. So, status (id=1, label = open) is now status (id= 1, label = preparation).

To fix it, just put the labels back. Go to Admin -> Issues -> Status and you'll see the list of status. Edit "in preparation" to "Open" and you'll find it all flips back to "Open" in the workflows and so-on

Bernardo San Juan August 28, 2014

Thank you for that, however I still not understand how to manage the first status "To Do". It is some how a default one, I would like to create a special workflow that does not stat with the "To Do" status. How can I do that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2014

A workflow always has to have a "create" transition. When you belt "new workflow", Jira starts from scratch, but it will always give you the default "open" step, with the "create" going into it.

All you need to do is edit the "create" transition. You'll find you can change it's landing point to any other step. If you do that, you'll also be able to delete the "open" step

Bernardo San Juan August 31, 2014

Thks again, I now understand and I was able to set things as I needed to.

0 votes
Bernardo San Juan August 27, 2014

Actully what I want to do is to change the status that is linked to "open", right now is "Preparation" and it should be "To Do".

Yesterday as I created a new wf. This I changed the "To Do " status for the "Preparation" I do not know what I did, but all the wf in our instance now have "Preparation" instead of to do.

Suggest an answer