How to edit "browse" screen layout?

Marcus Widerberg March 12, 2014

Is it possible to edit the "browse" screen layout?

I successfully have edited the screens/screen schemes/screen scheme mappings/screen issue type mappings-yadda-yadda, and get the desired result for edit for the project/issue type/operation mapping I want.

However, the basic browse view remains unchanged.

I e what is displayed when you go to: http://your.jira.URL/browse/<YOURISSUE TYPE>

So, how do I change the fields and order of fields for this screen?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2014
Code. The screen is divided into several areas, which are all hard coded. To move them around, you can try (ugly, flaky, hard to maintain) JavaScript, or you have to amend the core code that lays out the panels.
Marcus Widerberg March 24, 2014

OK, I interpret this as the following answers to my specific question:

No: There are no features in Jira that allow users to modify the layout and fields in the "browse view" - except: Custom fields are displayed if there is value in them and the order follows what you define for the edit screen.

However, you can of course try to develop a customization, using some javascript code that will modify the page - deployed either as part of the jira installation (which you then have to maintain in the face of upgrades, it will not be automatic, I assume) or as a client side injected script.

Is that a reasonable interpretation of your reply?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2014

Yes. I used to maintain modifications like that in multiple products and it can become a real pain and make upgrading a long process, especially if the vendor makes changes to the basice code design. Most of these grew from people wanting to tweek something to be more like another product, not adding real value. The users will get used to the layout. It may not be perfect, but that is one of the compromises when you choose a COTS product.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2014

Not quite. You can re-arrange the vertical order of fields in the "custom fields" area. But other than that, yes, you've paraphrased my answer correctly.

Like Joe, I strongly recommend not messing around with the interface. It's hard work to implement and an utter nightmare to maintain, and all you're really doing is cosmetic tweaks that generally add little or nothing. Most users will quickly get used to the layout and be perfectly happy with it once they get used to just how much is there.

Marcus Widerberg March 24, 2014

I added the clarification, thanks.

0 votes
Michael Phitides May 11, 2014

I find the description box too small (pasted screenshots "seem-to-be" cropped); and even though I can resize it vertically, I cannot resize it horizontally.

I believe that if I was able to have one column, instead of two (second column includes the "user", "dates" and "time tracking" sections), would be more convenient for my users.

From, what I understand from this thread, is that the only way to do this, is by changing the code or installing a plugin (if it exists) and cannot be done through configuration.

Am I correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2014

Correct, you'll need to hack the core layout function to rearrange the screen.

You might be able to just amend the description.vm file though, to change the setup of the description field.

Suggest an answer