How to edit default issue type scheme (or how to remove issue type from being global)?

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2011

I apologize if someone already ask this before...but I cannot search the answer here. basically I am using 4.4.1 and I cannot remove certain issue types from being global or in the default issue types scheme. THis gets a bit annoying as my default scheme is getting bigger and bigger on the new issues types that I just added (when in reality those new issue types is only for one issue type scheme)

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2011

It's an ancient bug. The key thing is, before anyone starts using jira, make a copy of the default issue type scheme and call it "out of the box scheme" or something, then whenever you create a new project make sure it uses this.

Because you can't remove them from the default scheme. And the longer projects use the default scheme, the more likely they are to use various issue types that you never intended them to use, then you can't switch them to a simpler scheme.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2011

Well, you can swap them to a more simple scheme, but that means you have to get them to tell you what to change all the issue types they are losing too. (e.g. if the new scheme doesn't contain "bug", then change all the "bugs" to "features")

3 votes
peter_culka January 18, 2021

Wait, this is an 8 Year old BUG and still in the wild? Really?

I stumbled upon this and am on JIRA version 8.4

Heather Perreaux March 6, 2023

And it's been carried forward into JIRA Cloud. *sigh*

1 vote
Brian Topping October 18, 2013

This is a feature, not a bug.

If all projects inherit from some new scheme and a given default scheme is 100% unused, what's the point of keeping the default scheme? If it's just to keep administrators from accidentally making changes to several projects because they aren't paying attention, reassigning all the projects to some new scheme just kicks the can down the road a step further since the exact same issues can crop up, just with different non-default schemes.

Sorry to say, there's no way to program around people not reading the manual.

Nikolas Hell April 10, 2017

Alright.
I read the manual and I'm clearly understanding the need for default schemes.
But you can't call it a feature if it's implemented... ... "like that".

Pros:

• Jira needs a default issue type scheme for automatic inheritance on project creation.

Cons:

• You can't modify the crucial parts of it at all.
  • You can't flag any scheme as the new default scheme.
  • you can't even select a scheme on project creation.

Which results in enormous administrative work. (Create project -> assign a wanted scheme -> delete the useless inherited scheme)

So how can this be a feature? We don't have a DRTL issue here. The idea was great but it was implemented like a bug.... ..... for 6 years now.

And it's not only the issue type scheme. Same goes for:

• Workflows
  • Screens
  • Boards

(Did i forgot something?)

Greetings
Nik

Like # people like this
sachin reddy April 27, 2017

Nikolas I completely agree with you, I am having a hard time as an Admin to make my team understand how hard it is to keep changing stuff for them , like I always have to change the default screen schemes, add new fields for them , add new new workflows. There is no point in having default stuff created to a project when we would want to change it in future anyways.

Ilter Gunasti October 10, 2018

Couldn't agree more with Nikolas

Dwight Ivany October 11, 2019

When the default implementation is painful for most users, and prevents them from a reasonable implementation, it is a bug, not a feature.

1 vote
andreas_stuber June 20, 2013

any update on this? Or is there at least a way on how the default scheme that projects use when they are created can be changed (away from the default scheme to the "simple scheme" describe by Nic above)?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2013

No bug adressing this in jira.atlassian.com ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2013

Sorin, not really. The default scheme has some logic and reason behind it, so I don't think Atlassian will ever remove it.

I don't think people really mind it being there as a "contains all of them automatically list" either. The problem is mostly that the damn thing gets right in the way because there's no way to stop it from inflicting itself on every new project.

Jamie linked to the main bug already in his answer, and I'd recommend a quick look/vote on the linked issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-8926 as well.

0 votes
S Fong August 31, 2020

So is it true that I can't remove issue type from the default issue type scheme?  I am on the Jira Software cloud.  The idea is to grant project to the default but I am about to create a new issue type that should be used in some but not all projects so I don't want it to be part of default.  What should I do?

Suggest an answer