How to edit buttons, fields, screens, etc.

Sam Barrett December 14, 2017

New JIRA administrator, and I just set up a new Project. My old company had rich field features like being able to edit issues via a button and change a issue type via drop-down selection. I can't seem to modify any of the screens to do these (seemingly?) simple things. I've watched Youtube videos, searched the KB and now I'm asking for help after having spent several solid hours on this. Please advise.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

All issues have an "edit" button if you have edit permissions in the project.

Changing issue type can be complex.  It's a structural thing.  But you can do it with a drop-down if you put issue type on the edit screen definition, and make sure the various issue types all use the same field configuration and workflow.

I have administrator permissions, I don't have an edit button when looking at an issue screen. It's maddening. I can't even assign the issue to myself.

I created a post rule to assign new tickets to the reporter and then created a new issue which resulted in the issue being auto-assigned to me. I still have no edit button in the new issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

Admin rights give you admin.  Not "I can do anything", as that's a dreadful permissions model (and really gets in the way when you have even a small system with a modicum of complexity)

You need to make yourself a user within that project.  Check the permission scheme to see what roles or groups to add yourself to.

All JIRA users have been added to the project - of which I'm a member also. I added myself as a solo user outside the groups. Logged out/in. No change.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

Please, re-read the permission scheme.  What does it say for "create", "edit" and "transition" to start with?

Like Sema YILDIRIM likes this

Create: Project role: Users, atlassian-addons-project-access

Edit: ... OH! THAT'S THE PROBLEM!

Copied the permissions scheme, made an update. FIXED! 

Beers are on me.

Suggest an answer