How to edit and re-attach an attachment on someone elses issues

Danielle Kenway November 2, 2017

I need to know whether I can;

a) download an attachment from someone else's issues -

then edit it, then re-attach it to that same issue.

What access do I need? and does the issue need to be in review on the board?

Someone else tried to edit one of my attachments in an issue 'in review' yesterday and it (the edit) didn't show up.

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

A user would need to have the "Create attachments" permissions within a project in order to upload a new attachment. 

As for modifying an existing one, JIRA doesn't quite operate that way. You could upload an attachment that has been modified and has the same name, but JIRA would upload it as a different attachment with the same name. To provide just a single updated copy of the document, one would need to have the "Delete All" permission, remove the original attachment, and then upload the modified version. Keep in mind, removing an attachment will delete it permanently without a backup copy stored somewhere else. 

In terms of being "in review on the board", in general, being in a new status shouldn't affect the ability to upload attachments. 

Hope this helps!

Kian

Which permission is "delete all"?

Or, better still is "delete all" under "developer" permission?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

My apologies, the permission would be "Delete all attachments". This allows users to delete attachments that are not their own.

Suggest an answer