How to dynamically change the items in a custom field pick-list based on the project

ShadM August 26, 2012

Hi,

In Jira I've created a new custom field pick-list called Severity which is used to assign a severity to a software bug. I've pre-populated this list with a bunch of items, such as:

1. S1 Critical

2. S2 High

3. S3 Medium

4. S4 Cosmetic

Ordinarily one such list would be fine, but I now have a requirement to dynamically change the items that appear in this Severity custom field based on the project.

How best do I implement this? Create another custom field with the same name (if you can) and associated that to the required projects? Create a new field configuration scheme?

Thanks,

Mark.

1 answer

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

Hi, there are several ways to approach this.

One way would be to create a different field per project required and name it accordingly - customfields with the same name although are different are a pain when creating gadgets and other things as it is very hard to tell the difference between them.

The other way would be to add all the items required in the customfield and use Javascript in the description (in field configuration) and filter out the results per project.

I'd prefer the first method if possible unless it must be the same field.

ShadM August 26, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply.

I opted for the easy option and created another custom field with the same name, but different selectable options.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way I hadn't thought of.

Thank-you!

Suggest an answer