How to downgrade Jira version (6.3.15 to 6.3.3) (edit)

Andrei RIPA June 3, 2015

Hello,

I have installed the Atlassian SDK 5.0.13 with JIRA version 6.3.15 and I want to downgrade it to JIRA version 6.3.3.

Can I do this from command line (something like atlas-update --product JIRA 6.3.3 )?

If not, I've found the tutorial from bellow but I don't where the directory in which to do the upgrade is ( in jira-application.properties, jira.home =  , so I even tried ..\target\jira\home\ ).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Using+a+Rapid+Upgrade+Method 

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

Without answering specifically for JIRA 6.3.x versions, here are tips. My need was to downgrade a test instance from 7.4.2 to 7.3.4. I recommend not to apply this process in production.

First, at JIRA startup, notice log lines with:

INFO ServiceRunner [c.a.j.upgrade.util.BuildNumberDao] Setting current version to 7.4.2
INFO ServiceRunner [c.a.j.upgrade.util.BuildNumberDao] Setting downgrade version to 7.1.2

After starting lower version code 7.3.4 with a more recent database, JIRA fails to start with following message in log

****************************************************************************************************
Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency.
The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.
Database build number: 74004
JIRA app build number: 73015
Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 7.3.4#73015-sha1:a262b3457b3605f12635df4b0a0c3dc71d631a1e
Alternatively, you can allow a Downgrade to occur by setting the system property jira.downgrade.allowed=true.
****************************************************************************************************

Add JVM argument -Djira.downgrade.allowed=true in bin/setenv(.sh|.bat) and restart instance to get your database and instance downgraded. Remove this option just after that.

Get back compatible plugins from old version instance plugins/installed-plugins/.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2015

Hi Andrei!

JIRA 6.3.3 is actually older than 6.3.15. I believe you might want to upgrade it to 6.4.3, is that right?

Anyway, the path for the upgrade is the one where JIRA was installed to. You can check this on the startup of the instance. It's referred to as CATALINA_BASE.

--
Cheers!

Joao

Andrei RIPA June 7, 2015

Then, can I make a downgrade in the way you explained above?

Marie Goodart August 8, 2017

I'm also looking for a downgrade (going back to an older version of JIRA)

Suggest an answer