How to do complex JQL with Atlassian Cloud (On-Demand)?

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

As an Atlassian Cloud user, is there truly no access to build complex JQL or access to add-on's that support this?? Something like Script Runner looks perfect but only for the gifted on-premise folks. Searched Answers and the Web brutally over the past week and can't find any hope for those of us in the cloud. What do you do with such limited native JQL access? I'm looking into Tempo again, but most of this can't be solved there.

I need to be able to answer things like this?

1. As a filter behind a JIRA Agile board, show all issues linked to all Epics with an ID of 1234 (where ID is a custom field on Epic).
  2. Show all issues added to sprint 'n' after it started.
  3. How many hours were spent on subtasks not assigned to me in sprint 'n'?
  4. Show pending parent issues that have been through more than two active sprints.
  5. ...many more

9 answers

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2014

> People usually recommend Script Runner because it allows you to essentially write plugins, without having to package up and install a plugin People do recommend it for that reason but in this case it would be useful because of the powerful built-in JQL functions it provides... https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions. Unfortunately there is a bit of mission creep there and it does a lot more than run scripts. Anyway I wanted to say that, no, I have no plans to rewrite it as Connect, it's totally unfeasible even for a commercial plugin. And it doesn't matter how many people vote for that enhancement, Atlassian will never make it available for Cloud.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

No need for interpretation: I just don't see a workaround for the data you want on Cloud.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

I don't know how you want me to interpret that statement, Steven, but at least I now know this dilemma is not me alone.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

I hate giving answers or comments that can't fix the problem. :/

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

I accept your definition and points, Steven. We've got a Ferrari that continues to get better every quarter, but our ability to slice data for the most elementary questions or as a filter behind an Agile board puts us into the cockpit of a Yugo. My management grows tired of me explaining why I can't do this and why I can't do that. I don't mind exporting data and building my own reports; I simply can't get at the data. I've already invested heavily in integrations writing utilities that feed my PPM cloud system from JIRA. I am simply severely handicapped and you're correct, it's not the fault of my installation type (OnPremise vs. Cloud); this is a problem for Atlassian to resolve.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

This isn't a request for complex JQL, you want something that breaks out of the typical abilities of JIRA. People usually recommend Script Runner because it allows you to essentially write plugins, without having to package up and install a plugin. But this isn't available for OnDemand and I don't know if Jamie has any plans to completely rewrite his addon for OnDemand or even if it would be possible for that plugin to work in Connect. You guys are saying, "Great unwashed" and "Gifted on-premise" etc etc but this is the LIMITATION of OnDemand. You can't install addons. What you want is an addon. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2014

Hi there!

I know, it's unfortunate, actually, that we have no way to use complexes JQL functions to compare many values and create others on the fly.

There's already an improvement request to enable Script Runner.

It's highly recommended that you add yourself as watcher and vote for it.

It's the way OnDemand works right now, and I think it'll be like that for quite some time, since there's already many improvement requests on this matter, and they are being worked on a really slow pace.

In the following link you can see the actual state of possible functions in JQL: Advanced Searching.

And about John Schuster question where he says that he wants to show custom fields for Epics, I can't really see a problem with that, since it's possible to show and work with Epic Custom fields.

Thank you.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

Hey thanks, Andre. Following that issue now...I think what John is seeking is similar to my request above. In summary, Cloud users have no means of returning a list of issues related to all Epics with a given ID (call it...any field you like). I can query for a given epic and gets its related issues, but only one epic at a time.

David Skyberg August 31, 2015

I'm not sure what is being communicated in this response. That ticket is marked as "Closed". The thread indicates that it is unlikely Script Runner will be supported. In fact, the thread raises the question about whether ANY plugins will be bundled in the future. This doesn't really make me feel comfortable with our decision to use Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

It can't be just John and I...is there some tool add-on we haven't discovered, or are we just in the dark like everyone else? I'm digging through Atlassian's backlog, but nothing obvious is coming up...yet.

0 votes
John Schuster September 25, 2014

I also am one of "The great unwashed" On-Demand users who would like to do more than just simple JQL.

My needs include

Show a Task and all Sub-tasks related to it

Show Custom field related to Epics

etc....

Suggest an answer