How to do bulk delete in JIRA.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2013

How to do bulk delete in JIRA.

I could not find any link for Bulk changes.

Also, after deleting project issues, i want it to start from 1 index.

using JIRA version: 5.2.11

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2013

It's under "bulk edit". Run a filter, use Options -> Bulk edit (you may need to check your global permissions to make sure you have the rights to use bulk operations), and "delete" will be one of the four options you have.

I'm not sure what you mean by "want to start from 1 index", but I'm guessing your aim is to remove all the issues in a project and reset the project key counter? If so, then you can only do this in the UI by deleting the whole project (which, of course, also deletes all the issues in it, saving you a bulk edit). Your other option is to reset the counter in SQL, but if you do it that way, it is critical that you have Jira shut down when you change it.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2013

thanks, its fine i can remove all issues through bulk changes.

For Deleteing whole project needs to recreate the project and there can be miss some configuration. so, is there any way from UI, i can reset the counter so, new issue can start form 1.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2013

I repeat, you can't do a "reset" in the UI.

Your SQL looks right to me (although, I cannot remember if the pcounter is "next number" or "current number". I think it should be 1, but it might be 0).

Just remember that it is *mandatory* to have Jira offline when you run this SQL. It caches the counter. (I'd also recommend backups and so-on, but this is actually a moderately simple and safe change)

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2013

can i execute -

"UPDATEproject SETpcounter='1'WHEREid=10005;" //project id is 10005.

will it make my new issue to start from 1 index ?

3 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2013

Hi Dhaval,

First you have to check Bulk change permission in Golbal permission, then go to issue navigator>>Tools>>bulk change>>and delete issues.

Regards

Onkar Ahire

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2015

posting on 2 year old questions that are mostly unrelated is not really useful - only the people involved in this question will see it. Try asking a new question

0 votes
Karla Bernal August 12, 2015

Hi! I need to delete lots of sprints/versions massively because we have more than 100 sprints. Please which is the option? I have the jira 6.4.5 thanks

Suggest an answer