How to do a wildcard / text-free search in JQL?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2017

Is there a way to search for projects with Free-text or wildcard searches in JQL so that they just show up Auto-Completion?
For example, In JQL when I start writing "project = TEST", I want the following projects to show up: 
1. Test
2. HW_TEST
3. SW_TEST
Could I start to search project = 'TE..' or something similar that would return all 3 projects above?
Instead of project = TEST which would just show the first project.

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ December 17, 2017

Hi ;)
You can use a FREE app called JQL Booster Pack and use the projectMatches() JQL function to get the requested functionality

------

Examples:

• Find issues in projects that ther name starts with 'LATAM':

project IN projectMatches("LATAM.*")

• Find issues in project that their name contains 'Academy':

project IN projectMatches(".*Academy.*")

• Find issues in projects that ther name ends with 'EMEA':

project IN projectMatches(".*EMEA")
0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

Tayyab, check out JQL Search Toolkit.  A bit more complex then * but it should be able to do what you're looking for. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/eu.thesilverlining.jqlsearchtoolkit/server/overview

-pd

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2017

I don't think the plugin provides this kind of facility.

I think you didn't understand my question. 
My issue is regarding JIRA's ability to provide auto-complete. 
For e.g. 
I want that when I start Typing project = "TEST", is should show the following projects in the dropdown list of suggestions.

- TEST
- HW_TEST
- "Project Test New"

Instead with the current auto complete suggestions, only project with name starting with "TEST" would show up.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

@Tayyab Bashir, IK did mis-understand.  Sorry about that.

Suggest an answer