How to do a conditional auto-transition which may not be triggered manually?

Marcel_R__Ackermann August 8, 2012

Hi.

I am trying (failing) to find a configuration for the following pattern:

There are a number of worker roles (let's call them 'Worker A','Worker B', 'Worker C') and two statuses, say 'In Progress' and 'Resolved'. When an issue is 'In Progress', the workers have only a single transition 'Provide Data' which allows them to set or unset certain, distinct custom fields (say, 'A', 'B', 'C', respectively) which are initially empty, but keeps the issue in status 'In Progress'. If, and only if, at any time an 'In Progress' issue should happen to have only non-empty custom fields, then the issue should transition automatically from 'In Progress' to 'Resolved' without a supervisor having to trigger that transition. The workers, however, are not allowed to trigger that transition manually, but only indirectly by providing the custom field data.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how such a scenario can be modeled in JIRA?

I tried to tackle this problem using the 'fast-track transition' built-in from the Groovy Runner plugin (conditioned to check that all fields are set) but this seems to require me to define a workflow transition that may also be called manually by the workers.

Any advise is appreciated. Since I do not have admin access to the file system I am especially interested in a solution that uses only the UI and maybe third-party plugins.

~MRA

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

You need to have a valid action for the fast-track to do the transition, but you could put a condition on it such that A, B, C are non-empty. Then it won't be available to end-users until the point that that condition is fulfilled, by which time the issue would have transitioned through that path anyway.

Thanks, Jamie. Great and simple solution.

Works almost perfectly, the only problem arises from the fact that, right after the last field has been set, the issue view screen shows the state of the issue right before the auto transition, including the now visible workflow button. You have to refresh to actually see the transitioned issue (but you are obviously already aware of that: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/GRV-110).

Any ideas if this can be avoided?

> Not really, afaik it's just a bug that I need to fix somehow.

I see. It's not really breaking anything, it's just a little bit annoying.

> What version of jira are you using?

JIRA v5.1.1#772, groovyrunner 2.0.6

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

> Any ideas if this can be avoided?

Not really, afaik it's just a bug that I need to fix somehow. What version of jira are you using?

Suggest an answer