How to do a compound subject search

Peter Cohen July 7, 2017

I created a search for the following term:

Summary ~ "Market Operations"

The problem I am encountering is that this search returns all results with the words "Market" and "Operations" in them. So, for example:

1. "Market Operations"

2. "New Market Hours of Operations"

3. "Global Market Operating Hours"

Is there any way to only get result number 1?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Vargas Llopis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

Hi Peter,

Try searching like this, it should give you the first case that you need:

summary ~ "\"Market Operations\""
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Daniel,

I tried that and it did not work for me or Nathan in JRASERVER-21372.  Can you please post a screenshot of the results you get?

Cheers,

Branden

Daniel Vargas Llopis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

Hi Branden,

I haven't tried just now, might have worked in the past!

using this, seems to do the trick (it was in the ticket you linked)

text ~ "Exact+String+To+Match"
Peter Cohen July 7, 2017

It is interesting - I just tried Daniel's method using \" and that did work for me. Actually, when I tried "+Market+Operations" I got the first and third result, which is not what I want. I guess JIRA's ways are mysterious.

It would definitely make sense for the system to provide a simple - clear forward - method to look for an exact compound string.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Peter,

That is interesting.  Neither of those worked in my instances.  I can't explain the inconsistency in behavior but I'm glad Daniel's initial suggestion works in your instance!  If you can please mark Daniel's answer as the correct answer so others can benefit as well!

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2017

Hi Peter,

There is a feature request that has been open for a while that you can find at JRASERVER-21372.  Please vote on JRASERVER-21372 to add impact so we can get this added to JQL.

Another way you could go about this is to query the database directly with a query such as:

select * from jiraissue where summary = 'Market Operations'

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer