How to display sub-tasks below the parent of a Scrum board ? Working on the sample project

Florent RIFAI July 5, 2017

Hello all,

I'm really confused. I read everywhere that you can't display subtasks in a Scrum backlog. But when I create a sample Scrum project, there they are !

image.png

The board is a Scrum board :

image.png

I'm lost. Is it possible now ? Why ? How ? Please :)

Thanks !

1 answer

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2017

Hi Florent,

That's strange indeed because as far as I could find and test this does not work and the feature is still open: JSWSERVER-7992

What version of JIRA are you using? Or are you using the Cloud? I guess the project in the board is a JIRA Software project and not a JIRA Core project?

Best,

Maarten

Hello !

I'm using a Server version of JIRA v7.4.0 and JIRA Core 7.4.0 too.

This happens when I create a new project :

image.png

Then I chose a Scum software :

image.png

image.png

And then ...

image.png

What is that wizardry ?

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2017

I'm still on JIRA 7.3.4 so it might be part of the latest release. I'm now downloading it to give it a try and see if it's a feature in the latest version.

It's not included in the release notes for JIRA 7.4.0

But the Kanban Backlog feature is included and as you can read in the feature request, JSWSERVER-7992, showing the subtask in the backlog is already supported for Kanban boards so maybe it "accidently" got enabled for Scrum boards as well.

I'll get back to you once I've installed JIRA 7.4 locally.

Best,

Maarten

Thank you Maarten, for your time.

When I create a Scrum project from scratch, the subtasks aren't displayed. But I can't find any differences with the sample project, except for the fact that there are 2 kind of subtasks. Even if I associate those subtasks and create some of those in my scratch project, they aren't displayed.

Total confusion :)

Suggest an answer