How to display instructional, or informational messages on service desk request forms.

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2015

I'm looking for a custom field type of “message”.  Looks like that custom field type exists for Cloud, but not for On-Prem?

4 answers

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Not the field help text. Here's a use case:

In a few cases, I only want the form to allow creation of a request if certain pre-requisites have been met. For example, if someone wants to submit a Name Change request to HR, our HR team only allows that if they have shown that their ID has been updated with their new name (most common scenario is they just got married, and need to change their last name with Payroll and HR).  We want to ask whether this step has been done, and if not, show a message that displays custom text (explanation about why their request cannot be submitted).  We also need a way to prevent the form from allowing them to create, based on their response to that question. 

Any ideas?

Anyone else have this need, or how do you handle cases like this?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2015

Nicolas, Thanks for your response.  I am aware of the Field Help for each question, and that's not what I am looking for.  In one scenario, I would like to display a certain message, based on the answer they give (from a single-select, checkbox, or radio).  Another use case would be that there are some instructions that I would like to give at a certain place on the request form - instructions that would apply to a group of questions.  There won't be an answer given - I just need to give informational text on the form in a certain place.

I hope that is more clear.  Any way to do something like that?

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2015

I doubt there's a field type on Cloud that's not on Server. By "message", do you mean the smaller gray font that contains an explanation of the field? That would be the field help text.

If that's not what you mean, could you give an example of such a "message", and what you would use it for?

Suggest an answer