How to display extra fields on customer portal (service desk)?

KoenTerVelde August 22, 2016

Hi all,

Is it possible to add custom fields or a field like 'Due date' to the customer views? We would like to share for example the 'Due date' of an issue with the customer. As far as I can see, we cannot influence the issue interface that the customer sees on the portal...

Thanks in advance!

Koen

17 answers

16 votes
PHI SWD Account October 14, 2016

I think you misunderstood the question. He was not asking how to add the field to the FORM. He was asking how to show the field to the Customer on the portal. 

I have the same issue. My form asks a number of standard questions like Priority, Due Date, etc. However when the customer views the Request on the Customer Portal they do not see it. 

This seems like such a basic feature, why would you show them the questions on the form, but not let them see them in the Portal. 

Parva C. - Narva Software June 30, 2020

Hi there, if you still haven't found solution, please try out add-on: Extra Fields for Jira Service Desk

Using this add-on you can display any Jira field to customers including custom fields.

7 votes
Deleted user September 13, 2017

I have the same question. To be clear, ALL fields that you add "to the form" will naturally appear on the portal - but there are fields that our customer service staff complete on the second tab of the issue, not intended for the customer to complete. For example "Criticality". We don't want the customer to complete these fields on the form. However, we'd like them to appear on the Customer Portal in order to provide that information back to the customer. I hope this makes sense.

2 votes
Bryan Bai March 27, 2018

please vote for the open ticket for this feature:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-2353

Chris Annal March 27, 2018

Bryan, this is NOT an open ticket for this feature. This link is for "As a customer , JIRA Service Desk Customer Portal displayed Date format as per configured in JIRA"

The topic we are discussing here has to do with custom fields that the customer does NOT populate on the portal, but are used internally (by the service desk team, for instance) to process and update the status of the request. 

I used an example, "Criticality". Our team uses that field to asses the issue and process it accordingly. The customer would like to see this field on the portal when they check the progress of the issue - but because it isn't a field on the initial form, it's not available for the customer to see., and there's no means to post it to the portal for viewing purposes.

Rafael Duarte January 28, 2020

Do you have Script Runner?

Maybe use behavior to turn the field "read-only" on the portal

Like Marina Vital likes this
Kamila Szeląg March 12, 2020

Hi Rafael,

Can you elaborate on that? I'm looking for walk around here and it seems like a hint!

Thanks in advance,

Kamila

2 votes
Grégory Joseph
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2016

Hey Koen,

Sure you can - go to Project Settings > Request types > Edit fields > Add a field

image2016-8-23 13-9-38.png

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2019

I don't see "Description" in this list and it is confusing and frustrating.

Like James Murphy likes this
1 vote
Ryan Shillington August 26, 2020

Solved! 

Steps:

1. Login to JIRA and go to your Service Desk Project.
  2. Click on "Project Settings" on the left-hand side.
  3. Click on "Request types", again on the left.
  4. Click "Edit Fields" beside the type you want to modify.
  5. Click the pencil icon to the right of "Customer request form".
  6. Click "Add a field" to add a field, or "Hide" or "Remove" to remove them.

I didn't require any extra plugins to do this.

1 vote
Ert Dredge December 20, 2019

My workarounds:

(1) Add the field to the submission form, which makes it show up on the portal issue page later.  The obvious problem is you then imply to the customer that they have control over the field and they're supposed to put something in there when they submit the issue.  You can work around that some with tooltips like "leave blank -- not for customer use" and then automation that erases anything they submitted after they create it.

(2) If you've got a small, binary, piece of information you can overload the workflow statuses with it.  We have one for escalating an issue that should really be a separate field, but instead it's a workflow status.  If you've got a really simple workflow like Open --> In Progress --> Done you can change that to Open / Escalated / In Progress / In Progress and Escalated / Done and set up the transitions as makes sense.  I do other things for binary information like "this issue has been estimated to be over a certain size and will take longer" as a workflow status (summarized as "Heavy").  Automation adds a comment when it is put into that status.  So for a while the status is "Heavy" instead of "Open", but eventually it gets moved into "In Progress" so "Heavy" is no longer visible, but by that time they've seen it on the status for a while so probably remember, and the information that it's a bigger-than-average issue is visible somewhere in the comment thread.

But, again, I with they would just let you show extra fields on the portal.  These workarounds are far far from perfect.

1 vote
Ert Dredge September 12, 2018
Deleted user April 26, 2019

Thanks, Ert. 

0 votes
J.Acosta March 12, 2021

There is no way to do it in Jira,
plugins are required for this functionality

Indirectly I found "Extension for Jira Service Desk" that has this functionality.

We should have the possibility to configure the user portal without having to resort to paying for add-ons

Portal fiels configuration 1.pngPortal fiels configuration 2.png

0 votes
Parva C. - Narva Software June 30, 2020

Hi everyone,

Jira does not have this feature by default. For Jira Cloud users, we have developed an add-on called Extra Fields for Jira Service Desk

Using this add-on you can display any Jira field to customers. They will be able to view but not edit the field value. It also supports custom fields. Give it a try and let us know if you face any issue.

0 votes
James Jam December 20, 2019

Same issue

0 votes
Rafael Duarte October 8, 2019

Same issue here

0 votes
Gawie_Bing April 26, 2019

I have the same issue.  My customer wants to be able see (read only) the Assignee field on the customer portal but I can't add this.  

Nani May 21, 2019

Hi @Gawie_Bing 

I found this plugin in marketplace they have ability to display the fields but I didn't try it yet.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212161/extension-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=server&tab=overview

Thanks.

Praveen

Deleted user December 20, 2019

As Ert Dredge mentioned above, and I'm still waiting for, this should be an out-of-the-box feature over a plug-in that would cost hundreds of dollars to purchase and yearly renewal fees.

"It's an open feature request to support this.  See

0 votes
Rodrigo Volpe October 30, 2018

Same issue for me too. I am able to add as many custom fields as I want on the form but they are not displayed on ticket (client view)

0 votes
Samuel Esposto September 18, 2018

Same issue ^^ 

0 votes
Dave Gunn June 23, 2017

Project settings>request types>add a field.

Alex van den Berg June 23, 2017

Thats just adding a field to the form (as Miguel said above in this thread)

Dave Gunn June 23, 2017

It has appeared on my customer portal though.

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2018

i think it depends on the type of field. For instance "pending reason", i can populate it as a customer during the submission (after using your method to add the field to the request type), but then it is not displayed to the customer view.

0 votes
Dave Gunn June 22, 2017

Same issue here.  I want to add a telephone number field on the cutomer portal.

0 votes
Alex van den Berg June 12, 2017

We are facing the same issue. Did you find a solution yet on how to add a column for due dates in the customer view?

Dave Gunn June 23, 2017

Project settings>request types>add a field.

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2019

yes you can add it, but it only works for submission. cant see after its submitted.

Like Francesco Piombo likes this

Suggest an answer