How to disable organizations email notification?

Robert Nolan October 17, 2016

Every time a customer user adds an issue to the/an organization the customer belongs to, an email is sent to all other customer users within that organization stating "user xyz shared this with your organization". Is there a way to disable to default action for all issues added to the organization?

I realise each individual user can either "View request" or "Turn off this request's notification" from the email notification received, but where customers are adding multiple requests daily, this is creating a lot of email spam for other customer users within the same organization. The notification, IMO, is overkill as the report knows they created the issue and other customer users can view issues created by that user if they wish to - why would you need to spam all customers users?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

Go to Project Settings>Customer Notification and disable the rule to send for organization

Robert Nolan October 18, 2016

Excellent! Thanks Jack

Matthew April 9, 2017

I'd like to get clarification on specifically what is "the rule to send for organization"

I have disabled Customer Notifications\Organization Added, yet Organization members still receive an email to say an issue has been shared with them.

Thanks in advance if anyone can assist with this.

Like Kristian Zembic likes this
Stefani Kaimakliotou December 7, 2017

I have the same issue. Still no answer on that?

Nabil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2018

Can you try to look into the Request Created event? Make sure it is set to only notify the reporter instead of Customer Involved. Customer involved includes organization members too.

Like # people like this
James Taylor August 29, 2019

This did not work for us  - made no difference to the organisation also receiving the notification when replacing Customer Involved with Reporter

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.45.01 pm.png

2 votes
James Taylor August 29, 2019

We're suffering from the same issue - switching Request Created notification from 'Customer Involved' -> 'Reporter' does not stop the notification going out to all members of the organisation. This is why people think this is a bug in the workflow.

Note we WANT our agents to be able to add an Organisation to selected tickets - so the whole org can be communicated with (so we can't turn off the Organisation Added Notification).

But we DON'T want individual customers to send in tickets and for JSD to blast out the same ticket to everyone in the organisation they belong to.

Help!?!

2 votes
Kristian Zembic March 12, 2019

I believe I found a solution to the issue as I too was having this same problem. It has to do with what Jira classifies as a "customer". I believe this is a bug in the system.

If you look under Customer Notifications and select the Request Created rule. The default recipient is "Reporter (customer)". The word customer in brackets is important.

When we added our customer accounts to the service desk project, we added them as an organization. In the customer tab, we see the organisation as a single entity. Only when you click through into the organisation, you see all the individual associated accounts and email addresses.

I believe Jira is counting the organization group as a single "customer". When a Customer Notification Rule is configured with "Reporter (customer)", the customer entity is the entire organization and therefore the organization as a whole is notified.

Remove all the associated accounts from the organisation group and add each account individually as customers to the service desk. This should resolve the problem.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2019

@Kristian Zembic , I think you are missing the idea of Organization. For sure you don’t have to use Organizations at all and as you said you can simply have each customer at the root level of the Customers view.  However, Organization has a unique set of rules that allow you to have multiple clients within the same JSD project but placing them into unique organizations so that members of the organization can then share with their colleagues without risk of sharing issues across clients/organizations.

there is one setting in Customer Notifications that controls is a broadcast notification goes out to all members of the organization when a member of an organization opens a new request, specifically “Organization added”. I always keep this disabled for my purposes.

Kristian Zembic March 12, 2019

100% agreed, organization groups have other advantages. I am not saying that admins should stop using them. In this case, I believe it is a bug in how Jira handles customer entities and organizations at the root level and this should be fixed.

As others have said on your earlier reply, disabling Customer Notifications\Organization Added has not resolved the issue. Email notifications were still being sent to all members of the organization.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2019

I don’t believe it is a bug personally. While I can understand why getting rid of organizations would prevent the notifications I believe it simply changes the problem domain. What I can say is that I do not experience the issue of broadcast notifications when using organizations and my suspicion is something isn’t configured correctly in instances where this is happening. That said if you thing there is a bug you should reach out to Atlassian Support directly.

1 vote
Stephen Gordon November 9, 2016

I'm having this issue – when I have it enabled for just the "Reporter" it still emails all the customers in the organization - any ideas?

Thanks,

Stephen

notification_all.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

@Stephen Gordon, can you check your setting under project settings > customer notifications?

Stephen Gordon December 7, 2017

@Jack Brickey - 

Thanks! I think that is what I ended up doing...it was a while ago and it worked :)

Thanks!

Jason Starr October 3, 2018

@Jack Brickey, I had the same problem and discovered it must have something to do with user mentions. We recently bulk imported a customer (using email addresses) to JIRA SD and whenever anyone in the customer "group" would create an issue, everyone else would get a "user mention" email - not the standard "you have created a ticket" email.

I first went to the customer notifications and made sure the setting was "reporter" only when issues are created, but this did not appear to work.

The only way I could quickly get this to stop is to remove all customer notifications and use Automation to set up a rule that when a new ticket is created, send the notification email to the reporter.

I don't think it is supposed to function like this. Can you tell me where the user mention might be coming from? Right now I feel I am working around the problem rather than solving it.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Jason

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

@Jason Starr, not sure i follow. are you saying that you had the notification below disabled and were still seeing emails sent to all in the org when issue created?

org-added.jpg

To be clear the issue captured in this thread has to do w/ the Organization added notification. I wonder if you might be experiencing a different issue? In which case please search the Community for possible answers and/or open a new question.

Jason Starr October 3, 2018

@Jack Brickey, I cannot verify 100% whether that setting was disabled previously because when I clicked the disable all notifications, they all became disabled.

It is probable I am not familiar with how this is set up to work. If someone's email address is in an Organization and they create a ticket without any other action, does this Organization wide email go out without them doing anything? I don't know what "Share with your Organization" involves but no one entering tickets is doing anything other than entering the ticket, yet this "Share with your Organization" email was going out to everyone in the organization just like Robert Nolan reported above.

That's the reason I saw this post. I was researching how to fix it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

having customers in an Org allows the requestor to add other customers that are in the same Org. The email to the entire org when an issue is created is controlled by the "Organization added" notification. If disabled it will not go out, if enabled then everyone gets blasted.

Like Jenny Severin likes this

Suggest an answer