How to disable creation of the parent issue while still allowing creation of subtask child issues

jcoats February 18, 2013

I have an integration with JIRA where the parent issue is created by an external system. I want to be able to prevent creation of this parent issue within the JIRA UI, but still allow creation of the subtask issues either via the external system or JIRA UI.

Parent issues should only be created via the external system, not within the JIRA UI or our integration/synchroniuzation breaks.

Any ideas on how to do this?

1 answer

2 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

Its possible this can be accomplished using workflow conditions on the Create Issue transition. You could have different conditions for parent issue types than sub-tasks. For example a permission based on group/project role for the parent issue creation that only the external application has and a different set of conditions for sub-tasks:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-JIRA'sbuilt-inconditions

jcoats February 18, 2013

I'll take a loo, but I'm not hopeful. What I've seen so far is that you can't limit or diable the parent without alto disabling the subtask. thx

Suggest an answer