It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to disable avatars globally in JIRA?

Lucas Roosevelt Aug 24, 2012

Our JIRA instance has many customers that view and audit issues and to prevent our collection of imaginative users from causing issues by using questionable avatars I need to disable Avatars or at least prevent users from uploading custom images for their avatars. Is this possible in version 5.1.x?

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Leader Aug 26, 2012

Hi Lucas,

maybe this thread might help you: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/7199/avatar-image-pre-set

There is an idea to point all avatars to the same image, so avatars are not disabled, but everyone has the same one.

Cheers

Thomas

Lucas Roosevelt Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for the info. While this is pretty brute force and probably not recommend you can prevent uploading custom avatars by disabling write access to $JIRA_HOME/data/avatars. It returns an internal server error when you try.

0 votes
Harry Chan Aug 24, 2012

You can take a look at the jira-application.properties file for the property jira.user.avatar.enabled. There should be documentation on what each property does. You can set this to false. Please give this a try.

Lucas Roosevelt Aug 25, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I had found that property in the 4.2 upgrade guide and tried it but it doesn't seem to produce any noticable change in 5.1.2.

Harry Chan Aug 26, 2012

As per the upgrade notes https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.4+Upgrade+Notes they now go in the jira-config.properties and the database. I couldn't find this value in the specified jpm.xml for defaults though. It might not be possible anymore.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

2,684 views 6 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you