How to disable Whats-New popup for specific users?

Rahul K March 30, 2015

Is there a way to disable this Whats New pop-up for specific users? Can anyone provide the DB table and column which stores this disable/enable flag for the popup for a user?

There are some customer we have for whome the links on the Whats-New page are blocked. So we want to block the popup for such users.

I do not want to completely disable the 'JIRA Welcome Plugin' as it is still useful for our regular users.

System Config: JIRA 6.1.9, Oracle Database

Any pointers would be helpful.

-Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2015

The welcome plugin uses a user preference to indicate that the whatsnew dialog has already been dismissed.  It has the key "jira.user.welcome.dismissed".  There is also a REST endpoint that you can use to set it explicitly, and if you set it to "true" for a given user, then that should suppress the dialog.

There may be some events (like major version upgrades) that will clear this, however.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2015

Ultimately, user preferences are stored in a property set, so at the database level, it would mean two rows: 1. A propertyentry with entity_name='ApplicationUser', entity_id=(SELECT id FROM app_user WHERE lower_user_name='username_in_lowercase'), property_key='jira.user.welcome.dismissed', and propertytype=1 2. A propertynumber with the same ID as the propertyentry and a propertyvalue of 1 for true or 0 for false

Rahul K March 30, 2015

Thanks Chris. Can you let me know what is the REST endpoint URL to update another users preference?

crf
Atlassian Team
March 30, 2015

As far as I'm aware, there isn't one. User preferences are meant to keep track of... well... that user's preferences. You can change your own preferences using the endpoint at /rest/api/2/mypreferences but fiddling with another user's preferences is not something that was anticipated when that endpoint was created.

Rahul K March 30, 2015

Thanks. That is what I thought as well looking at the existing APIs.

crf
Atlassian Team
March 30, 2015

The welcome plugin itself also defines a rest endpoint that I think ends up at .../whatsnew/1.0/show and accepts DELETE requests to hide it, but this too updates the preferences for the current user only, not for anybody else.

Suggest an answer