How to delete old user accounts

Deleted user January 7, 2013

Hi,

I am not a very experienced Jira user and I need some help. We have reached our Jira user limit and would like to delete 3 old users accounts to make sapce for our new employees. These old users have closed issues assigned to them/ or reported by them and therefore I cannot delete the user accounts without deleting the old issues too.

Is there a way to delete old users without having to delete these old issues?

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2013

I strongly recommend to de-activate users (by removing them from jira-users group and other group membership) and by that way those users would not count towards your licence limit but at the same time their old issues will be visible on Jira.

I would also recommend to create a new group 'Deactivated Users' and place all such users in that group so that you can identify in future that these users are inactive.

Make sure none of them are project leads or component leads or explicitly added as users of any project roles. Otherwise, you might find bounced emails error logs when Jira tried to send notification emails to those old users.

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2013

Rather than deleting a user, I'd recommend that you deactivate their account instead. Deactivating a user's account will prevent that account from being used and prevent anyone from being able to log in to JIRA using that account. However, it will preserve that user's issues history.

In newer versions of JIRA - since JIRA 5.1 - it is possible to deactivate a user by unchecking the Active check box in the user browser options - see Deactivating a user JIRA.

I hope this helps!

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2013

Hi there,

I believe you can deactive the user in jira by referring the links below:

Hope its helps.

Deleted user January 7, 2013

Thank you!!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events