How to delete a workflow from JIRA?

Will Dailey September 11, 2013

In my enthusaism to set up JIRA as an ITIL compliant tool I set myself the task of creating Service Desk workflows. I have now created 5 of them as experiments. I want to keep one and delete the other 4. I have removed these 4 from the project, I removed them from the workfllow schema, and I removed most of the workflow steps. But I can find no way to remove the inactive workflows themselves. I can not even change the names of these workflows.

After an hour of touring the docs and answer pages I believe these can not be deleted. Is this really true? And why?

Is the only way to undo these to reinstall the ondemand instance? Really?

Thanks in advance,

WKD

Villiage Idiot

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Will Dailey September 24, 2013

This works

4 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

Actually, you can delete them if you navigate to Administration > issues > Workflows and open up the "Inactive" Workflows. You can only delete custom workflows you have created.

Nadia Kotys April 4, 2019

Hi @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] , we are using Jira Cloud and we would like the ability to delete the default workflows that are created upon project creation.  We will use a modified workflow we created instead for all projects. I would like to do some Spring cleaning and delete the default that are created such as: Issue Type, Workflow, and Screens.  

My main question here is: How do I delete the many workflows Jira Cloud version creates by default each time a new project is setup?

I believe I'm able to delete the other defaults with regard to Issue Type and Screens.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

Once you modify the projects to use the modified workflow, you can delete the default workflows that are no inactive.

Also, when you create projects, you have the option to use the shared configuration from a project that is already using the modified workflow. That way, you won't have to do this every time.

1 vote
Will Dailey September 11, 2013

Well, as I said I am the "villiage idiot". Such an obvious answer. Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2013

lol, like that name though ;)

Suggest an answer