How to delete Screen in JIRA Web?

Deleted user November 16, 2014

I wanna delete Screens in JIRA.. 

I can delete Screen Schemes and Issue Screen Schemes.. 

However I can not find a delete button for Screens...

JIRA doesn't have delete button for Screens originally?? or I can't find it??

I wanna know it through JIRA Web.. not DB Qeury...

So give me some ideas... thx ahead smile

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2015

It looks like you never figured this out. I've seen this once or twice before, and both times it was due to a migration off of a Cloud instance to a standalone instance. Unfortunately you will need to go into the database and replace a missing value. In the past I've used this KB article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/No+delete+option+on+Screens 

Hope that helps! If you fixed it, how did you? Very curious. 

@Natasha Gaffer, you may also be interested in the content above.

19 votes
Amit Kajgikar June 4, 2016

Hi All,

It can done if you will follow these steps:

1. got to "Issue type screen schemes" and delete unused schemes 
  2. now go to "Screen schemes" and delete the unused schemes
  3. now go to "Screens" and delete unused screens

Precautions: The above steps is possible only if:

1. project is removed
  2. screens are not used in any workflow. 
Juris Sleiners August 9, 2016

Works.

Brandon February 21, 2017

Thanks, just what I was looking for

Pierre June 6, 2018

Thank you, work nice

mohd zakir June 28, 2018

Thanks, Amit Kajgikar, works.

Luiz Bitt July 25, 2018

Simple and efficient!!! Thanks!

Higo Matos November 24, 2018

great!

Daniele Margaroli March 18, 2019

Thanks!

1 vote
Natasha Gaffer January 7, 2015

I'm having the same problem. Typically I would see a delete button for Screen name 1 and Screen name 2 because they are not associated to a screen scheme or workflow but I can't delete them for some reason. JIRA v6.3.9

cc: @Raghu Bhagavathula, @Doua Vue

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 3.15.59 PM.png

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

Go to the list of screens in the admin section, and look to the right hand column.  That contains the link to "delete screen".  It also lists where screens are used, so you can check they're unused before you delete them.

Deleted user November 16, 2014

Hello Nic Brough... umm....I can not find "delete screen" button.. Administration > Issues > Screens.. but I can't find "delete"...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2014

I'm afraid I can't tell you any more than that. On every Jira I have access to, the list of screens contains a "delete" icon to the right hand side of each screen lists in Admin -> issues -> Screens. Either someone has customised your Jira to remove it, or you're not looking in the right place.

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2014

Hello Hyeonoh,

You can't delete screens that are in use. If a screen is associated with a Workflow or a Screen Scheme you won't be able to delete them until you unlink the screens.

Please upload a screenshot of a screen you would like to delete. This will help.

0 votes
Mark Vogelgesang December 4, 2015

I had run into the same issue where I didn't see the delete link when viewing the list of Screens. I realized that the Screen I wanted to delete was still in use by one of my workflow transitions. Once I removed the Screen from the transition, I could the delete it.

Rajesh Krishnamurthy August 14, 2020

How does one find out which workflow transition is using a screen? Obviously scrolling through multiple workflows and checking every transition is not an (enjoyable) option!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2020

Look at the list of screens in admin.  That tells you all the places a screen is used.

0 votes
rp June 19, 2015

Hi All,

Did anyone succeed using that KB Article. If so please pen down you experience. because when I took a look at the article all it talks about 2 select queries and little procedure of editing XML...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2015

Yes, quite recently, on a failed migration off Cloud as Andrew has experienced. You literally follow the instructions in the document, adjusting only the ids to match your damaged data. It works fine.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events